1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ivory and other antique valuations

Discussion in 'General' started by pscook, Dec 3, 2020.

1. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Has anyone pursued selling ivory? I'm pretty sure that the pieces are 100+ years old, but I don't know who to contact regarding getting them appraised for sale or insurance purposes. I also have a bunch of other little curios that I inherited from my paternal grandmother that "came from the Orient back in the teens."

Anyone deal with unique and possibly volatile antiques?

2. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Good luck, some antique sellers/ buyers won't touch Ivory, tortoiseshell, some taxidermy or antique fur with a ten foot poll. Really a taboo with a lot of people now.

BigBird likes this.
  4. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Yeah, I read all of the guidance. But, I think that it has enough historical value that I should find out if it meets criteria for at least intrastate sale, as the interstate business looks much harder to meet. I know that none of the items have been modified with post-1973 material, but getting someone who knows or has experience evaluating these things would help me determine if I keep it or find someone who can use or show it.

5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Tree-fiddy, negotiable. :D

Post pics!

6. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Perhaps another angle to pursue is to get them appraised, donate to a charitable organization that includes within its scope the historical/educational value, take the tax deduction...

7. Phl218

Phl218 .

Take it to that antique evaluation TV show

8. KCFirebolt

KCFirebolt Large man. Little bike.

We just had an appraiser over to look at some silver this week. He mentioned that as a certified appraiser, he can provide us with documentation to protect ivory items. We haven't pursued it, but that's what we were told.

9. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

That's good information. I have a few boxes of antiques that I got from the estate (I have generations of hoarding to thank), I'll look for local appraisers who might have that type of skill.

And donations are an option, but I would like to know what I have and if it's African or Asian Ivory, as that will determine who should get it. I do have a lot of Asian museums and resources around here, I'll have to see if I can find anything for the African stuff.

10. fastfreddie

I was serious when I said post pics. Individual/private collectors have an interest, too.

sdg likes this.
  11. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Yep, sorry I didn't respond to that. I need to dig everything out anyway, so as I gather stuff up I'll post pics. Really cool stuff with incredible detail. I used to sit in front of the curio cabinet and let my imagination run wild.

12. Phl218

Phl218 .

13. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

This guy bitches about the cost of a new truck, he will not lowball you. ;)

14. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

15. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

There is one more piece that I need to find that is even more intricate than these. The Netsuke are very cool and likely the most attractive to collectors, I think.

16. fastfreddie

It's not the truck, it's all the BS they try to sell on top of the base truck that does nothing for someone that's simply looking for a truck sans BS. No LariatPlatinumDiamond editions for me, thank you. It's still a $50K proposition, which is okay when you consider top shelf mid-size foreign trucks. With those, however, you get all the bells-n-whistles for <$45K but none of the capability. Makes me go hmmm when I think of a full-size with all the bells-n-whistles costing as much as both a loaded mid-size and a bare bones full-size combined. How do they figure that? :confused:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
  17. fastfreddie

Interesting pieces. Our family spent a couple years in the Far East. Bear, elephant, fish, water buffalo, eagle and Buddha sculptures were part of my early formative years experience. My parents prolly have that shit stuffed in boxes somewhere. Pottery, weapons, furniture and home decor also accompanied our return to the US.

Diggin' the crystal ball elephants.

pscook likes this.
  18. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

US labor costs.

19. fastfreddie

Do you really think the software hard parts are made here? Or that installing a leather clad seat is any more difficult or time consuming than installing a vinyl seat?
    Even Porsche doesn't charge $40K for leather interiors and top trim level electronic options.

20. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

I'd have to go dungeony to expound any further.