1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It was fun while it lasted...

Discussion in 'General' started by ChemGuy, May 6, 2022.

1. So what is the main point to be taken from all this?

Is this a good time to sell a house, or no?

Is it a good time to buy a house?

We will be doing both. Gonna sell the house in TN and buy one in Sugar land TX (Houston area).

But we don’t have to do it in any certain order, or at all.

If it’s a shit time to buy, we can rent and wait. If it’s a shit time to sell, we can just hold off and sell it later.

2. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Personally I think it's a horrible time to buy a house and still a sellers market depending on location. I'm so glad I unloaded all of mine last year and never have to screw with that again. Real estate can kiss my ass for a long time

BigBird and Gorilla George like this.
  3. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

French for "death agreement".

True.

rd400racer likes this.
  4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

A most important question, where you gonna shoot? It might be Texas, but dedicated ranges are pricey. I hope you can luck into that Predator playground situation you have goin' on now. :D

5. That *IS* the most important question. We haven’t gotten that far yet. That’s one of the reasons we will probably rent for a year first.

We are going to move to one of the “Masterplant” communities that have their own golf course, lakes, swimming pools, etc.

But there are lots of them. To decide which one, I need to check proximity and routing to the International Airport, nearby gyms, shooting ranges, etc.

And of course I need to be able to find a place where I can continue to save the world on a regular basis. :D

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  6. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Marfa, Texas is calling your name...

7. I don’t like the sound of “Marfa”.

Sounds like a mafia org started by a bunch of grandma’s. :crackup:

rd400racer likes this.
  8. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Better idea - buy/build on a decent sized plot of land outside city limits and save the world on a regular basis right in your own back yard.

BigBird and Boman Forklift like this.
  9. Ive actually considered that. Same approach as I take to vehicles, have it built the way I want it.

But I’ve heard many times that building a house is a big hassle and pain in the balls.

I don’t really wanna deal with drama over a house, because I really don’t give a shit. All I need is a big garage, home gym, big bedroom, and some big TVs.

Aside from that, I don’t care. I’d be perfectly happy in a 2 or even 1 bedroom condo as long as it had that stuff.

All the different cabinet types and decorations and shit, I don’t care about any of that. I like to be in the dark anyway. The entire inside could be gray and it’d be fine with me.

10. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Then I'd just buy something in the county that's already built and has some acreage. I just threw the build option out there as just that, an option. But I'm sure there's plenty of homes already built on a few acres to be bought.

Gorilla George likes this.
  11. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

D e b t S l a v e r y

12. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

You need to find a fly in community an buy a house with a hangar. You don't need a plane to live in most. Then you have a big ass "garage" to keep all your toys in.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  13. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

Selling is cooling off (more so or less so depending on the exact area). New mortgage applications have dropped thru the floor compared to 6 months ago. Places are sitting on the market now, and/or lots of "reductions" which may or may not be a selling strategy, are showing up as well. House in my neighborhood says Contingent with a $25k reduction off $675k, listed for 27 days. Another townhouse in the cheaper townhouse section listed for $420k also Pending, listed for 63 days. A year ago those would have been gone in 2 days for above asking. Flip side, my previous director just sold his townhouse in Reston, VA for $25k over asking in 4 days. I don't think I'm gonna see another comp in my little townhouse cluster close to the last one of $550k in a long time. They were out of towners and the previous two comps were $440k and $450k... I dunno what they were thinking, but must have had to move here bad. Just depends I guess.

Also now is NOT the time in a general sense. People buying family homes don't move in the middle of the school year generally. Things present better in April/May/June visually in a lot of the country. That's why Spring/late Spring is usually the time where lots of listings hit.

BUT... even reduced from high, places are still going for a bunch more than they were 2 years ago. AND, supply is still down. Rates are probably gonna go up a few more times I'd say, so there IS that. But also I look at that like... you can ALWAYS refi, you CAN'T always pay less money for a house than you agreed to. So if it were me, I'd still probably wait another year for prices to cool even more, then buy, then hope to refi in 5-10 years and save myself some monthly monies.

BigBird and Gorilla George like this.
  14. Phl218

Phl218 .

Gorilla George likes this.
  15. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

We're in the holding pattern still and renting again. Sold our house in May of 20' and used the equity to get debt free and focus on the business we bought in Feb of 20' (great timing on that one... luckily it was a bicycle shop and we've been busy ever since.) We own an empty lot next to our old house and planned on building on it. That ship has sailed for now, lucked out again and same owner we rent commercial space from had a place next door we now rent residential space from smack in our little downtown for peanuts. I'm not sure I want to go back to home ownership again, completely spoiled now walking and pedaling everywhere! I haven't bought fuel in probably 2 months. Have to drive every couple weeks just to burn some fuel off and keep the race van up to snuff.

16. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

Houston never really bought into that whole 'city limits' thing. (Or 'providing city services' either.) I keep expecting to hear they annexed Austin.

17. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Or a great thing, that let's you buy an appreciating asset, potentially allowing equity pull outs, to do life changing things like buy a business. It also gives you stability and security, since you won't have a landlord that kicks you out at the end of the lease, or sharply increases your rent.

Yea mortgages......I think they are a good thing.

18. That’s some good info, thanks.

19. Holy shit is that a thing???

That would be awesome. Have a little living area, then a fucking hangar!

I could have a big garage, gym, and a half basketball court.

Shit I need to find one.

backbone and Boman Forklift like this.
  20. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Isn’t one of the Arizona tracks a fly-in type thing with houses?