1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Isle of Man

Discussion in 'General' started by Phat Chance, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Phat Chance

Phat Chance Silence, I kill you!

I am considering making the trip to the IOM TT this year. I am looking for advise on how to go, where to stay, what to do and most likely, What not to do, etc.

We have a friend in the Millitary that lives about an hour from the ferry in England and he has invited me to stay with them. I'm not sure if commuting back an forth everyday would make sense or not.

Any information would be appreciated.

2. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

Commuting everyday would not be feasible. First and foremost it would cost you a fortune by the time the fortnight was over.

Are you going for the full fortnight or just race week?

My advice is to find a B&B or homestay on the island, preferably in Douglas as that's where all the action is, including the nightlife.

Go to the following link: http://www.iomtt.com/Home/Forum/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=26

That is a good start at finding a homestay or B&B to stay in during TT.

Flying into England or Ireland and taking the ferry is always a good experience for a first timer to the TT. It is part of the experience. You can just fly straight into Douglas though.

As far as things not to do....

1) Do not attempt Parkour on the streets of Douglas, at night, and while drunk
    2) Do not fall asleep at the airport and subsequently miss your flight home. Their is not much to do on the IoM once the TT is over. :)

Things to do....

1) Go to Douglas Promenade at night! Bushy's Beer Tent is always good but a bit crowded. Quids Inn is great. Go to Colours for the late night party.
    2) I have never spectated there but all you have to do is ask and people will point you to some great spots for spectating. The TT organizers have setup some new grandstands at some of the more popular spectating spots for 2012 which will help out with getting a spot with minimum cost.
    3) Have a blast, you'll fall in love with the place.

3. Phat Chance

Ok, Thanks. I'll get to work on it.

4. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

lmfao, bitch

5. Huey130

Huey130 Chief wrench thrower

Do eat ice cream in the paddock in the afternoons and double bacon / egg baps in the morning.
    Do get the whole team drunk enough to make an entire bar start singing Living on a Prayer along with your table even though it's not karaoke night.
    Do take the electric railway to the top of the mountain.

And Brandon forgot: Do not get into the exact same cab to goto the airport that a drunk teammate ditched on just a few hours before when they stopped at a kebob shop on the way home.

6. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

The safe word for any event at the IOM is "Banana"
    Crisps (potato chips) will help you with the girls from Peel..

As Huey mentioned, YOU MUST: Sing along to "Living on a Prayer" as a group as loud as possible.

Stealing a van is not advised. Borrowing one is :)

7. Huey130

Huey130 Chief wrench thrower

That's the safe word for every event in my life!

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Hate.

9. Phat Chance

I can't stay for a whole fortnight, just 2 weeks.

10. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Do send pictures of yourself drinking Bushy's to Mongo, as often as possible.

11. gpstar748

hahaha :beer:

12. Critter

Critter Registered

800-822-7532 Garner World Travel for tickets. They can get you there and home easy enough

13. Heikes

Heikes Well-Known Member

:up:

14. gpstar748

:rolleyes:

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Aw come on, it was funny :D

16. Jedb

um... that's the same thing.. :)

17. Phat Chance

yeah, yeah, yeah, we know. It was just meant to be funny. You know, like Ha ha. Or LOL. Or as my kid says, No Duh.....:crackup:

18. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

We did the whole fortnight in 2010, arriving just in time to see the first evening practice. It's a little slow the first week (practice week), but with all the things to see and do (particularly for a first-timer like yourself), it gives you plenty of time to experience most of them.

Most regulars ride over on a bike (taking the ferry over the water parts of course) and camp in a tent. Coming from overseas, we have always stayed at various hotels/inns/houses.

If there is some way you can go over on a bike, do so. I think it the most complex part logistically (and one of the biggest expenses sometimes), but well worth it.

The hardest thing to get is a ferry ticket (with a bike/car, walk-ons are easier) at a reasonable time at the UK port you want (You sometimes have to take Liverpool or Heysham when you wanted the other).

I have ridden over, flown over (and had a bike waiting), borrowed a bike, rented a bike, stayed at hotels on the "prom", on the track, in houses, etc. I usually do something different every trip. They all have their pluses and minuses, depending on what you want out of the trip.

I can try to give you some specifics, probably PMs would be better to know what your priorities are and share phone numbers, contacts, etc.

Of course, we have participants (and former winners for that matter) on here, so there is plenty of experience to go around. Mine is more the "regular guy/spectator" point of view.

I didn't know anybody or anything on the first trip. I now have many friends and contacts. You won't find a better bunch than TT fans!

19. caferace

caferace No.

I needed a new .sig :crackup:

-jim

edit: Jimmy, if you're not a total douchebag and can corner lo drop me a PM and I could likely hook you up with very, very cheap lodging in Douglas. I offered it to Mongo last year but he couldn't afford to book two seats just to fly his fat ass over. :D

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  20. Jedb

I think he didn't want to see the beer bill at the end of it... ;)