1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this thing on??

Discussion in 'General' started by joec, Jul 16, 2019.

1. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Sorry, I only speak outside plant.

Cannoli and speedluvn like this.
  2. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

It would not surprise me that, back in the early days (? - 1999), the BBS server was connected to an aDSL 1.5Mb/sec line.

By 2010, when the photo was taken, perhaps a DS3 was feeding the 13x facility (multiple servers).

Today I have no idea, with bandwidth as cheap as it is.

3. YamahaRick

POTS - Plain Old Telephone Service. Dial tone to your home. Analog. Fastest ever data transmission was V.92, 53K/sec (IIRC).

DSL - Digital Subscriber Loop/Line. Early version was maybe 128K up, 1.544Mb down. Carried by POTS line.

DS3 = T1 (1.544Mb/sec) x 30 ~= 45Mb/sec up/down. Either coax or two pair twisted pair.

4. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Thanks for the translation :bow:
    :rolleyes:

5. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Fiber: Glass strands that carry communication signals on light beams originated by laser transmitters. Can use multiple wavelengths (up to 40 or so) of light to get extremely high data rates on a single strand of glass. Each wavelength can operate at about 20 billion bits per second. Common fiber cables have up to 96 strands of glass in a single cable.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  6. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

7. YamahaRick

Outside plant: telco assets outside the CO (central office). Cables, poles, multiplexers (SLC96), etc.

Inside plant: assets inside the CO.

8. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Best cover band ever! :D

motoboy likes this.
  9. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

A couple scotchlocks later and the bbs is back online LMAO

Scotty87, Banditracer and beac83 like this.
  10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

At one point we were in a garage in Silver Spring with a T1 line run to it :D

11. Mot Okstef

Mot Okstef Scrolling all day long on RRW.com

BOOOOOO!!!! :moon:

motoboy likes this.
  12. Johnny B

Just repeating what the lawyer representing the estate of Randy California in the Phoenix/Stairway To Heaven copyright litigation said. :p

YamahaRick likes this.
  13. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Phoenix?

14. Johnny B

My bad. Taurus.

15. motoboy

motoboy Well-Known Member

Since we're still on the subject, LZ fans should do themselves a favor and listen to Willie Dixon's "I Am The Blues." After he won the court cases and collected some $ from the guys, he released a record of him singing the songs he wrote for Howlin' Wolf and others that were bitten by the British Invasion guys. It's some high quality shit.