1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a math wiz here?

Discussion in 'General' started by Tommy Lancaster, Mar 10, 2003.

1. WERA29

WERA29 On a mental field trip...

Re: my .02 worth

NO!

and here's why...

2. MR-MICROPHONE

MR-MICROPHONE Breakin' the Law!!

Re: Re: my .02 worth

OK!!

Somehow I knew you would be the first to reply to my THOUGHTS. :p

I understand that they have reviewed the tape/photos/images, and I knew that they would and ultimately determine the actual winner that way. But in seeing the live finish, it's very difficult for ANYONE to determine the actual winner with the human eye. Thus, my thoughts were born for the brief period of time and I was just wondering if anyone else had the brief thought before the review. I'm not disputing the win, just curious about thoughts.
    Anyone else? :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2003
  3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Laura - did they get a clean shot of the BMW finish? That had to be the closest thing to a true tie I've ever seen...

I kind of like the aggregate thing. Hate to see what someone earned for most of a race go to total waste.

4. racer63

racer63 Well-Known Member

I don't know for sure about the tape of the BMW race. I think that went directly to the "jury" officials for that series. I was busy chasing the third place finisher who had ridden back to the BMW paddock instead of going to the podium. I'm told that the spectators in the Suzuki suite were quite entertained watching my smoke-belching scooter chase after the BMW through the crowded paddock! That rider was a mad-man splitting through the crowd. I had my horn pinned the whole time to try to give them a little warning.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

LOL - that would have been fun to see :)

6. Tommy Lancaster

Tommy Lancaster Well-Known Member

One more comment....In AMA the pole position is awarded one championship point. Transponder placement should be consistent don't ya think? AMA can't review the film in that case.

7. MackV-65

MackV-65 Member

God, this reminds me of my General Chem courses I've taking this past year, that and my lab prof would slather my lab reports with red ink "Sig Figs" damn significant figures. Now I have to look forward to that again mext semester with Gen Physics.

8. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Well-Known Member

Uuuhhh, unless the guy can change it mid-lap it won't matter.

9. Tommy Lancaster

Tommy Lancaster Well-Known Member

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

As long as the transponder isn't moved during the lap it will have no effect on his laptime. It will also have no effect on the gians or losses over the course of a race when comparing 2 or more riders.

There are too many factors that effect the distance between the leading edge of the front tire to any permanent mounting place for a transponder, it would be different if the front suspension only went up and down rather than back at an angle and if we had fenders that stuck out past the tire rather than an inflated rubber object that can change shape and size during a race. ALl of those factors make it impossible to enforce a rule correctly so there is no reaosn to make the rule in the first place. Instead you have humans or other technological means for line calls, no biggie.

Just one other point - this is why the boss didn't go for it. They are great but not the be all end all of socring. Just another cool tool/toy that at this point isn't financially feasible for club racing based on what you (the riders) get in return.