1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my F250 dying? LOL

Discussion in 'General' started by Robby-Bobby, Jan 26, 2024.

1. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

So a couple months ago, after pulling a camper to Barber, I noticed my cab bushings and suspension had gotten a lot worse in a short amount of time. 225 on the odo, and I understand those are "wear" items and I use my truck as a truck.

So now that its riding better, in the last few weeks the "cleaning exhaust filter" message more frequently. Used to pop up like once a month or so, now its once a week.

Fast forward and 2 times now its given me a message to drive the truck to clean the filter. So I get on google and there are a billion different answers.

Some are saying to delete it, some are saying its an easy sensor fix as they get sooted up, some say drive the shit out of it.

I drove around in 4th gear averaging 2500 miles and the message went away, and seems to be normal now, but I've noticed a weird shifting between 5th and 6th to where it doesnt downshift until like super super low rpm, and the truck would almost stutter just like if you're on a bike and riding the pits in 3-4th gear. Then it threw an engine code.

Yes I am having it scanned, but kinda wondering it this is related to the exhaust filter maybe clogging up and causing low rpm rough running or is it just because its got 225k and stuff gonna keep breaking?

2. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

3. Robby-Bobby

I know the problem already, but if it makes you feel better or worse, I have plenty of friends bitching about their bowties and dodge also. So I think its not just Fords with issues. And it may not be an issue, maybe its just a dude its time for stuff to start breaking. Just curious.

4. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

It`s just a shame that powers that be have fucked diesel trucks.

Emissions.

Sounds like you are ready to need some regen work, and depending on what, could be expensive.

I would take it to a reliable independent and get a diag, then decide if you want to keep investing.

Just beware of someone who "diagnoses by code only"

5. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

6. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

You need to find a good diesel tech who knows Ford trucks like you know race bikes, Rob. Parts wear out, cause issues, need attention or replacement. You know the drill.

Up to you if you prefer to pay repair bills or if you want your truck in the shop less, and have truck payments.

I've still got my E-350 v-10 with 340k, but my '22 F-350 is nicer to drive.

cav115 and 418 like this.
  7. Robby-Bobby

Honestly, thats part of why I still have this truck. I have kept it longer than any other of my "modern daily drivers" and its like a luxury car that is a truck. And the fact that even though its a 2016, I cant fathom trading it for something newer because im sure trade value is shit, and I definitely use it enough that I need at least a 250 to pull the shit I do.

8. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Year, engine?

9. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Yeah Bobby, I figured the way you're on the go and usually towing something, you might decide to eventually upgrade your towing capacity. Your truck should bring a decent price, if you sell it.

10. BC

BC Well-Known Member

It's an older 6.7

11. BC

BC Well-Known Member

You're in Florida, Delete it.

StaccatoFan and 88/532 like this.
  12. Robby-Bobby

2016 Diesel.

13. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Ok. EGR. Delete it.

14. pickled egg

Or wait for the next horrorcane to delete it for you. :D

Robby-Bobby likes this.
  15. pickled egg

auminer likes this.
  16. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Hey, even Ford calls it the wrong word.

17. Robby-Bobby

So I have heard this on forums and several dudes. My truck isnt under warranty anymore, so what will this do? Does it add power, help mileage, or just bypass the system and nothing more? Will it make any other parts last less?

18. Robby-Bobby

sooooo this looks like something I can do myself yes? I see several vids on youtube. Tuner Depot sells a whole kit for around 1500 with tuner display and exhaust. Is that fair and decent?

19. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Emissions on diesels kill the performance and longevity because you are recirculating spent exhaust. only downside is you wont be able to trade it in to a dealer down the road.

cav115 likes this.
  20. BC

BC Well-Known Member

A shop will charge about 4-5K. All the shit you remove will fill up the bed of the truck.