1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it ok to use a front rim with a small bend in the lip?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Andy Bankston, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Andy Bankston

Andy Bankston DON'T YOU KNOW WHO I AM?

I'm looking at some front rims for my racebike, but seem to keep finding ones with small bends/dents in the lip. Will this affect anything as long as it holds air and is not in the bead? Anyone with any experience with this care to chime in?

2. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

If the wheel is not bent other than a small lip area, no problem.
    You need to run them on a spin balancer and measure run-out to find out.

3. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

Wheels like that can be straightened. Just make sure they don't have a crack or a crease and you'll be fine.

4. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

Frame Straight System did a great job on one of my wheels. They've also straightened a couple of my brake rotors. Great work and reasonable prices. There's enough things that can hurt you on the track. Why take chances with your equipment?

5. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

+1 for Frame Straight

If they get something they can't fix they'll tell you before you get any money into it.

6. kiggy74

kiggy74 As useful as an...

If it's me I'm going to get that wheel fixed. You'll probably not have any problems, but there's no part you need to hold together more than wheels and tires, so I don't screw around with it.

I had Will's Rim Repair fix a similar problem on a wheel of mine. Cost about $90 total incl shipping.

7. Vinnie@proline

Vinnie@proline Well-Known Member

Wills Rims+1

8. bhinds382

bhinds382 Well-Known Member

+2 on Wills. I don't know Frame Straight System, but I had Will's Rim Repair willsrimrepair.com do two rotors for me, and I'll give him a four cylinders/out of four rating for service. I know others that were equally impressed with wheel work.