1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it legal?

Discussion in 'General' started by SmokeSignalRT, Aug 10, 2017.

1. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Long story short there is a local guy that sells jail broke fire sticks for $135 and a subscription service thats $20 a month. 1500 channels and all the PPV fights etc are included. I'm interested and asked how is this legal. His answer is downloading in the US is illegal put streaming isn't. Is that true? I'm all for getting away from the cable box but certainly don't want to do anything illegal.

2. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

What do you think?

badmoon692008 likes this.
  3. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

If you have to ask...well.

4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Streaming is not illegal in and of itself but tell him you would like to see the content agreements he has to legally provide that to you. Just because you can stream the content does not mean you have the legal rights to stream the content.

5. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

There are a lot of grey areas with streaming and it may not be illegal, but I'd contend it certainly isn't legal. If you are truly concerned about the legalities, I'd bet jailbreaking the Firestick in and of itself is a punishable offense - likely spelled out in the service agreements no one has ever read.

6. speedkelly

speedkelly Well-Known Member

My advice. Don't waste your time buying a loaded firestick. Only people likely to get in trouble in this situation is the person selling a loaded firestick.

Just buy one yourself. There is no jail breaking a firestick. It's one click to allow apps to be downloaded. That's it! you just jailbroke it!

Watch a few youtube video's. Install kodi, download Ares-wizard. Install Exodus repo & Motor replays repo. All done. Don't bother with trying to get live TV or paying anyone a monthly fee.

7. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

There's no free lunch.

8. dtalbott

There used to be, but cartoons only came on Saturday mornings.

9. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

TANSTAAFL

dtalbott likes this.
  10. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

I know there is no free lunch. It's $20 a month :D it's loaded with KODI so that's how he is doing it. Funny part is you can actually buy a how too video on Amazon prime on how to install KODI. I really wasn't sure about the legality that's why I was asking.

11. dtalbott

Call your local police and ask them.

josh7owens likes this.
  12. speedkelly

Don't pay $20. Just do it yourself. I've built over 20 firesticks for family and friends (I do it for free). It's not rocket science , if you can register to be on this forum, then you can set-up a firestick. All the content is free! why pay someone?

SmokeSignalRT likes this.
  13. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Haha if only you knew my local PD. I'm sure they couldn't care less.

14. dtalbott

There's your answer.

How illegal could it be if someone is willing to post on the internet that they have done over 20 of them?

DucatiBomber likes this.
  15. speedkelly

Think of Kodi as a really smart DVD player. All it does is allow you to play content. Remember a few years back you would get ripped DVD's. OK, so maybe one or two people got busted for selling them. But do you know one case of someone watching a ripped DVD being staked out by the local PD, swat team breaking your door now and arresting you! I doubt it. I would not recommend selling Loaded Firesticks, but using one? sure go ahead. Hey lots of things are illegal. Running a aftermarket muffler is illegal. So who on here has not done that!!!

16. dtalbott

If I understand correctly, it's streaming content from servers outside the US, so US laws don't apply.

cajun636 and josh7owens like this.
  17. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Is it bad that I don't know what a Firestick is?

18. Heck you can buy them on eBay. I'm still confused on the 20 a month. Local guy sells them for 75 and will update it anytime you bring it in if you can't do it yourself. I have one for overseas travel

19. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

no gramps... hows that clock on the VCR? :D

cajun636 likes this.
  20. dtalbott

A cigarette.

panthercity and cajun636 like this.