1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iron rotors

Discussion in 'General' started by fastfreddie, Aug 3, 2002.

1. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

can you guys help settle an issue, i don't have a rule book. are iron rotors illegal in most classes and, if so, why? what classes are they legal in? tia

2. fastfreddie

duh...found the rulebook. superstock-no iron, superbike-whatever. this still leaves the question-why? i've heard iron cracks. is this the reason? let the superbike guys risk catastrophy? some mfgs claim to have solved this problem. so...do the rules need updated? what am i missing? ???

3. Eric_77

Eric_77 Well-Known Member

I would have to say the two obvious reasons are
    1. they are not stock
    2. work better than stock

4. Philip_37

Philip_37 No soup for you!

Cast iron rotors are not allowed but ductile iron rotors are. So Brembo superbike, Brake-Tech, PFM, and any other ductile iron rotors are OK for supersport classes.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What Phillip said - as to why - cast cracks (usually in a spectacularly bad manner - ask Dave Sadowski), ductile doesn't.

6. Geoff Doyer

Geoff Doyer Well-Known Member

Are EBC rotors cast iron? Has anyone ever seen them fail? You have me worried now.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No the EBC rotors are not cast. You should always check them for craks or other problems of course but the odds of them failing in the same manner as cast ones is almost nil.

8. fastfreddie

thanks all. so, i can assume that when the rules state 'no iron rotors', they're not including 'ductile iron'?
    another question, if i may. i have 'beringer' rotors but am unsure of the appropriate pad. what are the readily available choices?