1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Irish road racing

Discussion in 'General' started by rk97, Apr 1, 2022.

1. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Wife wants a honeymoon. Ireland has been agreed upon.

Renting a bike for a couple of days is priced reasonably enough (assuming an American M endorsement allows for it)

But I’d like to see an Irish road race. Even if it’s an amateur event. Isle of man would be cool, but also not essential.

where do i even start with this process? Wife is good at Google-fu, but is struggling to find racing orgs.

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

3. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 1, 2022
  4. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Might try the Northern Ireland Chamber of Commerce.

There are several races but not all are happening. Ulster Grand Prix is being run with a new club. There's also Kells, Killalane, Skerries, Armoy...

Sabre699 likes this.
  5. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

6. racerhead

racerhead Trackaholic

Newsletter link in post #2 is correct except for the UGP now cancelled again

Cookstown is kicking things off in 3 weeks time and I'll be racing all Irish nationals on a ZX6 and Faraldo Racing FR450
    If you make it over feel free to drop by the paddock and say hello/have a beer

Chino52405, 5axis, Steeltoe and 2 others like this.
  7. Paddy O

Paddy O Well-Known Member

I went to the Ulster GP in 2019 and had a fantastic time. Rented a KTM 390 and Triumph street triple RS from Phillip Mcallen motorcycles in Lisburn, they were great. The roads are fantastic for motorcycles, coastal road to where the NW200 is held(Port Stewart) is fun and I did several "laps" of the NW200 course on the Triumph! Remember that it rains pretty much every day in Northern Ireland, I rented a car for most of the trip too. Any race will do but you should go to Joey's Bar(Dunlop) in Ballymony. Easy to book hotels and realize that you can get to almost any point in Northern Ireland in about three hours driving. My video of Ulster GP and motorcycle trip, 2019:

YamahaRick, Steeltoe and racerhead like this.
  8. Paddy O

This year if the Ulster does not happen , I am planning on the late August Isle of Man Classic TT, will probably fly into Dublin for a few days first. If you fly into Belfast, note that there are two airports and I flew into the wrong one! My Indiana M endorsement licence worked fine in Northern Ireland.

9. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I haven't kept up with the Isle of Wight race whether that's happening or not. Or Oliver's Mount. Always thought that would be a good one, many of the same riders as Ireland and the TT.

10. racerhead

racerhead Trackaholic

Isle of Wight race has come up against some opposition and can't see it happening in the next few years.

Olivers mount was closed last year for some building and civil works and they hope to run events towards the end of this year.

Steeltoe likes this.
  11. TrackJunkie828

TrackJunkie828 Active Member

Steeltoe likes this.
  12. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

13. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Classic is also canceled :( The Manx (which runs concurrently, but is a separate event) is still on for the time being tho.

14. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

@gpstar748 and I will both be running the TT, and I'll be doing the NW200 to boot. Let me know if you want pointers.

15. Paddy O

From the Classic TT web site, it looks like the Classic TT and the Manx TT have been combined into one event now "re-branded" as the "Manx Grand Prix". So Classics and the amateurs together? Showing August 21-29, 2022. You guys who ride any of these events have a brass set for sure, hats off.

16. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

The Manx Grand Prix has always been its own event; it's somewhat akin to WERA and MotoAmerica - it's a more-accessible event that runs the same race, with more classes of bikes.

For a long time, the MGP ran vintage (60s/70s/80s) bikes as some of their classes. About ten years ago, the TT people offered to take up the vintage reins and put on a bigger show; they rebranded it the Classic TT, brought in a ton of the actual TT riders, and ran it concurrently with the MGP. Was a big boost to the otherwise club scene of the Manx.

This year, however, the TT is rebranding a bunch of the stuff it does, and the Classic TT got the axe. The Manx Motor Cycle Club (which puts on the MGP) wasn't able to organize for the classic bikes this year to make it up. They may try to next year, not sure.

Chino52405 and Paddy O like this.
  17. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member