1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPhone - is it worth it?

Discussion in 'General' started by Jugglenutz, May 14, 2009.

1. Lawrence

Lawrence New Member

:stupid:This phones the shit! You've got the internet wherever you go, and its not shitty internet like on blackberries. If you can wait, it will most likely be available to other service providers mid 2010 when their contract with AT&T Expires.

2. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

3. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

I think you are missing the reason for the iPhone. Its not the base plateform...its the apps and the ease of availably of the apps.

Trust me...this is something I try to make my fellow employees understand.

4. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

My contract with Verizon is up now and I won't switch to AT&T so I'm waiting for the Droid to see what's up with it.

5. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

Since Verizon isn't getting the iPhone anytime soon, I broke down and got the HTC Imagio on Verizon running Windows Mobile 6.5. It's not quite as smooth as the iPhone but I REALLY like it. Really nice step forward for Verizon. This thing feels great and the HTC TouchFlo overlay interface works beautifully. Physically, almost identical to the Apple and a very similar feel.

Frank, if you get a chance, look at this phone if you're on Verizon. I've been very pleasantly surprised. And the Windows Marketplace is setting up like purchasing iPhone apps. So far, its doing a great job and also acting as a wireless modem for my laptops when I need.

Mobile 6.5 fixed a lot of problems with Windows Mobile and TouchFlo filled in a lot of the blanks.

6. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

Anyone doing World War 45? Need some allies, my code is EW7Q2Y.

7. styles

styles The untrained eye

iPhone is ridiculous. And I mean that in a good way.

8. Knarf Legna

Not really, I get it. Android is an open platform, unlike the iPhone, and that gives it the potential for a huge base of third party applications. I don't see an app store as being a huge barrier to acceptance. This phone, at least as it's being touted, has more capability with support for simultaneous applications, widgets and more. I've developed apps for the iPhone, and played around with Android, and Google's OS is superior. And IMO people in general have less loyalty to a phone platform than a PC platform, partially due to the lower cost, and partially lower to the personal investment involved. In other words, people are less likely to switch their PC platform, but phones are a different story. Sure, thousands of apps add value, but let's face it, few people use more than a handful. Come up with a better mousetrap and people will jump ship when their contract expires.

That said, for me it all depends on how good the phone works, and that's what I'm waiting to see. I'm a big fan of the iPhone, but if the carrier sux it doesn't matter. AT&T service in the NE corridor is trounced by Verizon, especially around Philly. After all, if you can't make a call or have limited web access it doesn't matter how good the third party apps are. In my case, it is about the base platform.

Thanks, I'll take another look at it. The latest Windows Mobile isn't the crap that it used to be, and that HTC is reportedly very nice with the exception of the battery life. How long is yours lasting between charges?

9. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

I was pretty disappointed with the battery life in the first Android phone. That coupled with it's size were bits I didn't like. I went back to the Blackberry platform which is simple and fast.

With that said, I would go back to an Android platform if the phone's core speed and performance improved - which to what I've heard, is happening.

10. styles

styles The untrained eye

I dunno. Isn't the BB OS open for developers? I wasn't all that impressed by the apps available. iPhone...yeah, closed but with the apps I can get I've been blown away. There's far more support and interest. All I see in open development is people creating 30 different apps for the same thing.

11. Knarf Legna

Blackberry is a closed OS but there's an SDK available, and it's expensive. The majority, almost virtually all, of iPhone apps have been developed by 3rd parties, many non-commercial, so I guess I'm missing what you mean about open development. All you really need to develop for the iPhone is an iMac and the free SDK and you're rolling. Android is similar, with the benefit of being able to see what's going on inside the OS.

12. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

You've got good reason to be. AT&T's 3G network sucks compared to verizon. I've noticed a big increase in the number of dropped calls since switching to at&t from alltel(verizon).

Still...I love my iPhone, and use it for practically everything...as long as you are in a fairly populous area, I don't think you can go wrong with the iPHone

13. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Keep an eye on T-Mobile in the next week or so .. some big news coming from them.

14. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

I like my verizon blackberry tour. Hard to beat verizons 3G coverage. ATT is a joke - have them on land line and I literally HATE that company!!

15. I was being read an article from my Mgr. yesterday that Apple was being sued by Nokia for possible patent infringement on the wireless LAN circuit. Appearently, they haven't been paying Nokia on 10 patents essential to Wi-Fi over the last 2 years. At 30million iPhones sold to date...at 5% royalties....they say it could equal a couple billion dollars. Whoopsie!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  16. haunter

haunter Well-Known Member

apps are the lazy people

the phones can browse the damn web, you can figure out most of the stuff apps do with about 3 clicks

I would also wait for the driod to see how good it is before you get an iphone.

I am sure LOTS of apps will surface pretty quickly for driod 2.0 now that its getting a few NICE phones

17. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

I really don't understand why so many people hate ATT&T so much. Maybe it's a regional thing? I live between Milwaukee and Chicago and have no problems whatsoever with ATT&T. I can honestly say I've had less than 5 call drops and the coverage is excellent. I haven't had a reason to call their customer service line though, so I can't speak to that experience.

My contract is up, and I just broke another razor. I really want to get an iPhone... the wife is hasslin me over the data charges and the fact that insurance isn't offered for the iPhone though! (I break stuff)

18. ceiring

ceiring Green Jello Monster

I just got the first Sprint/Nextel Android phone called the Hero last week, made by HTC. I have to say that it is f'ing sweet. IMHO it gives the iPhone a run for it's money... there are already like 8,000+ apps in the Android Market. I got the phone for $179 with the standard 2 year contract extension.

I will have to say that it the interface and OS is still a little bit geeky and not quite as slick as the iPhone, but I think that Android is going to gain momentum in a hurry!!!

Some issues with Android... it is a multitasking platform so you can open so many things that the phone slows to a crawl and sucks down a battery in a hurry, no problem if you figure out how to manage it (multitasking actually has more benefits then problems). The Hero has a HTC designed interface called Sense that is built on top of Android so any updates to Android from the open source community have to first have HTC get in and add their code before it is pushed out to me.

Also, since Android is open source and anyone can get the code, it is tempting for the phone manufacturers to take a build and then start customizing it to try to gain some market share through unique features or to support some odd peripheral that they have on their hardware. If the code starts to splinter it could turn into a mess like Linux... an program will have to be compiled for each different splinter... this isn't unlike what the Java apps are today.

Sprint/Nextel has great prices... I pay $125 for 2 phones, shared 1500 minutes and unlimited data, text, roaming, picture mail, and calls to mobile phones don't count against the 1500 independent of carrier. Contrary to popular belief, I think that Sprints network is every bit as good as anyone else if not better.

Chad

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  19. vespadaddy

vespadaddy Well-Known Member

ATT Wireless service is awful in parts of Minneapolis. I live a block away from the highest geographical point in the city of Mpls, and I could not maintain a call on ATT wireless in my front yard, let alone my house. I can always tell when my neighbor is using his iphone for a call--because he'll be pacing in his front yard--the calls drop in his house.

The Motorola Droid should be available in a week or so on Verizon. The monthly bill won't be cheap, but it should be as good or better than an iphone, and it will actually work as a phone.

20. Cycle Search

Cycle Search Cycle Search

The Iphone(3G,3GS) is the best PDA phone I have ever owned, and I have been through a few. I have had HTC's, Pantech Duo, Palm, Blackberry(BOLD and 8200 series). The only thing that could be better is a flash for the camera. Otherwise wouldn't change a thing.