1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPhone / Android Dilemna

Discussion in 'General' started by Matt H, May 27, 2012.

1. Matt H

Matt H ah, mi scusi

Yeah, yeah....this has been discussed in different fashions a number of times....but here's my deal:

Need to change providers because of coverage. So I need an AT&T phone. I currently have an Incredible on Verizon, and love it. But all the new Andriod phones are bigger, and I hate it. I don't have a purse, and am not going to put a frickin tablet in my pocket to carry around a phone. So I don't like the size of the bigger phones. At all.

So, the only phone of the size I like is the iPhone. However, I'm not sold on it. The things *I* use on a phone (aside from phone, text) are:

1. the Google turn-by-turn Navigation with traffic, which is free and awesome. I haven't heard the comparable for the iPhone.

2. Swype for typing - I don't believe this is available for the iPhone?

Sure, I use Pandora, Angry birds for my son, etc, etc...but that is all the same.

So my dillemna is going to a bigger phone, which I hate the idea. Or going to an iPhone and not having Swype or having the same level of Navigation. Can anyone speak to these? Anyone had this same dilemna and made a choice and learned good or bad from it?

2. MudDawg

MudDawg Engine Killah

So I have both currently. A Droid X (about 20 months old) with a 4.3 inch screen. And a new iPhone form work. (Not the latest generation.)

My thoughts on them are:

Droid X is bigger and easier to use the screens & maps. The Verizon coverage is generally better.

The iPhone has a crisper screen. But it is smaller. Having a nice phone that actually fits comfortably in my pocket isn't a bad thing.

I'm leaning towards an iPhone for which I like better. But then again the droid is last generation. The newer ones should be much nicer and comparable. But the form, finish, and general useability of the iPhone is a bit better for now. The gap is quickly closing though.

Mud

3. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

No Swype and I haven't found anything free (if that's what you are looking for) for turn by turn nav. Otherwise I think the iPhone will make you somewhat happy. Not just Android huge screen and pen Samsung happy.

4. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Mapquest is free and gives voice turn by turn.

5. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Until the 5 comes out

the iPhone is a beautiful piece of engineering inside and out.

Like a motorcycle, I could have a few drinks and just sit there and stare at it. I'd seriously pay 1k for this phone. I barely even use my computer anymore

Fuck android

6. Daekwan

Daekwan Ant Gobert's fav. rider..

Would advise not buying ANYTHING from Apple until after WWDC. Its their annual conference where they announce new hardware, software and consumer goods. Its also where the iPhone, iPhone3G, iPhone3GS and iPhone4 were formally announced to the world. Only the iPhone4S was announced outside of this conference.

Not saying its a guarantee the iPhone5 will get announced there, but wouldnt be surprised if it did. Definitely expect to see iOS6 announcements and upgrades to the iPhone basic operating software. Rumor has it that Apple is leaving Google maps behind and going with their own map/navigation software to include free nav & 3D building modeling. I believe WWDC is still a week or two away. Its usually the beginning of June.

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  7. Photo_Chick

Photo_Chick Leo's Wench!

Yeah, but "rumors" are saying new phone won't be out until October?

8. tunawest

tunawest Well-Known Member

haha yep.

I took mine out of the case, and cleaned it up real good this weekend, and took off the original screen protector. Fuckin thing is like mint condition, and I said these exact words "damn, you are a good lookin phone" then I slid her back into my otter box.

And yep, Fuck android. Ive never had one, but plenty of friends and family have ditched droid to come to the dark side. No complaints from any of them.

9. F27Corsair

F27Corsair Well-Known Member

Wow, you guys sound like you have a huge stake in apple or you guys have your head so far up apple's ass that you can't accept that there's other good products out on the market designed by someone other than steve jobs.

I've used both mac and droid products. I've found that if you already have multiple mac products, getting an iphone works great with integrating with what you already have. Developers of apps tend to release iphone apps first before droid.
    Droids are great when you download music, you aren't forced to play it on an apple device. Google maps is obviously superior to any other map products available. As for apple creating their own maps- its going to take a long time to catch up with what Google created.

The maps issue is further evidence that apple is really trying to do everything in house. Some would consider this a good thing, others would say its a bad thing.

10. jb_11

jb_11 Well-Known Member

I had the same dilemma. Had a first gen Droid, then went shopping when the contract was up. All the latest models were bigger than I wanted to carry in my pocket. I finally settled on the iPhone (Verizon). There are still things I miss from the Droid (Google maps and Swiftkey being the main two). I ended up purchasing the Tom Tom ap, which is good, but not as good as Google was. After a few weeks I was generally happy though. Both systems have plusses and minuses. I could be happy with either, but I do prefer the form factor of the iPhone more currently.

11. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

I was in somewhat the same boat recently. Needed a new phone (Verizon) and my droid was dying.

Maybe it's just me but the droid operating system is like some windows stuff. After a while it just doesn't like to work. Maybe it's the lack of support or that they keep sending updates that the older devices don't handle we'll or something. Basically my original droid was in great physical shape but the apps would hang up, it would take two to three minutes for the "home" screen to come up delays with basic processes, issues with the phone, etc, etc.

I really like the android OS, but after a while it just didn't seem to work right. I don't really load many apps to start with and hadn't put anything new on the phone In a long time it just got slower and slower and finally just started having major issues.

I have a few apple products at home (recent additions) so it was easy to go with the new iPhone but I also picked up an old Mac for my kid to play with and it won't run newer software but it runs it's existing stuff fine for a ten year old computer. Hopefully the iPhone will be the same.

12. Photo_Chick

Photo_Chick Leo's Wench!

I've had both. The bottom line is that the iphone is what I like best. It does everything I need it to and more. I had the Galaxy S and loved it but there is no comparison to my iphone. The size is smaller that what I'm used to but I think it's perfect.

13. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

I just downloaded SWYPE to my iPhone 3GS for $0.99, works great. MAPS in the iPhone resident application set offers turn-by-turn navigation. AT&T service is comparable coverage to Verizon here in the Northeast. Can't say for other places off the beaten track.

14. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:stupid:
    Once you have become a true believer in Apple it is impossible to imagine life not surrounded by assorted iDevices... :crackup:If you compare a new Android phone with a decent processor to the iPhone they are very similar. I find with Apple products you pay quite a bit more for the hype and marketing though. Their biggest advantage is their design team and their marketing. They make a nice looking product and then put out a ton of ads convincing people that all the hip cool kids use their product. A small plus for Android is that most apps that cost money on iPhones are free from the Android market. For what its worth I have had an HTC Evo for 2 years and do not see a need to upgrade it. I have yet to see a situation where an iPhone would have been better.

15. I have a Droid X and the wife has an iPhone 4S. I was a long time Android guy but the more I use the iPhone the more I like it. One way I can summarize it is the Android does some things great but the iPhone does everything good. M contract is up in August so I am going to hold out a few months if Apple does come out with a 5. I will just keep my Droid for some of the apps that I have that connect to things via Bluetooth/ WiFi (OBD scan tool, etc...). Also good to let the kids play games etc if the iPad is not out.

16. Matt H

Matt H ah, mi scusi

Yeah - I'm not a fan or anti-fan of Apple or Android - I just want what works for me. Android has been that for me. I just hate having to go to a larger phone. But I'm worried about losing 2 of the big things (to me) on a phone. Swype and the high-quality and full featured Google Maps Navigation.

Tom - is downloading Swype for $0.99 supported now? Or is that a "jail-break"?

I wouldn't even be bothering changing, but I've moved and the Verizon service just doesn't work at my home, at my doctors, etc, etc....so it's forcing me to change providers - and thus have to get one of the phones currentyl available from AT&T.

I'd like to wait for the iPhone 5, but I need service that works now, so need a phone now. Keep the input coming. Anyone just get a bigger phone and found that in the end it was or wasn't as big of a deal as originally thought?

17. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

They are both good platforms. Pick the device that fits your requirements. I happen to require a physical keybard so that leaves me fewer choices than most. All of these devices are amazing when you think just how short the time span has been to go from voice only wireless handsets to these little computing monsters that fit in your pocket.

An iPhone is a good choice if it fits your size requirements and daily usage habits.

The thing that everyone touts about Android when you are talking to them is the same thing that causes most users issues. Free Apps....free poorly written and developed apps. 9 times out of 10 when someone tells me their droid device is running horribly or locks up it's usually dues to the boat load of shit applications they install on it because they are "Free".

18. Almostryan3

Almostryan3 Well-Known Member

I would go HTC android verizon. HTC is the only company that not only allows but gives you the tools to unlock root and keep your warranty. I don't care what anyway says full customization of your device is amazing. I don't like being told here's a phone its perfect you can't change it.

YES, you do have to be smart to use android and not eff it up. So if you are not a little computer savvy go ahead and get the lesser iPhone. You have to watch out for crap apps but that's really not that hard just look at the ratings and a couple reviews. At least its free and you didn't end up paying for a junk app.

As for screens, the iPhone in my eyes does not have the best screen. I also don't like the Samsung amoled ones either because the color looks over exposed. There is an LG that just came out that looks great and the HTC Rezound which are both true HD screens (unlike the iPhone) that look very good and aren't over exposed or washed out. Also I don't like how I actually have to apply a decent amount of pressure to the iPhone screen, I like it literally being touch sensitive.

As for everything else I can only say all my iPhone friends that pick up my phone love the fact they have four usable touch buttons on every screen rather trying to get one to do everything. It really does make things easier and quicker. Also I happen to like the 4.3" screens, I think the iPhone is too small and the Motorolla Razr I think it a bit too big haha just seems like I'm holding a brick to my head.

So really the choice comes down to are you tech savvy or not? If you are get HTC, if you aren't go iPhone /shrugs

19. Nine29

Nine29 Well-Known Member

iPhone 5 is rumored to have a larger screen than the 4/4S which probably means the overall size will be bigger, too. May not be what you want if you're looking for a smaller size phone...

20. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

You may want to check on that again. Unless something changed, your warranty is void when you use their unlock tools. It was in the beginning and unless something changed, that is still the situation.