1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intro and an SV question

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by ceebus, Dec 2, 2014.

1. ceebus

ceebus Well-Known Member

I'm finally in a position to make it to the track next year, so I wanted to introduce myself and start asking a million noob questions.

Me: 33, Knoxville TN, 10 year street rider, huge roadracing fan. I did 2 trackdays back in 2007, loved it, then totaled my bike in a street crash. Since then I've been doing dual sport, long distance, and commuting. This part of the post is boring, right? :crackup:

I plan to stick with the standard advice of a prepped SV to start. Assuming I purchase a superstock legal setup, what classes would I be able to run on a standard race weekend? And what kind of track time does that mean? I've looked through the new racer guide and rule book, but I'm still a little fuzzy on whether I'm on track for 20 minutes or 2 hours over the course of the weekend.

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to joining the party.

2. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

Welcome, great to see another Knoxville person here! Feel free to hit me up, check your PM's.

3. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

LWTSS, LWTSB and F2. Don't worry about times, just go race. All odds say you will love it.

4. grady anderson

grady anderson Well-Known Member

And LW Solo 20
    And Hwt twins for more track time

5. ceebus

ceebus Well-Known Member

So if I run LWTSS, LWTSB, F2 and do the LW solo 20, what does my weekend look like? Am I correct in thinking:

Saturday
    - Two morning practice sessions
    - One ~15 minute sprint race for each class
    - 20 lap solo race LWT

Sunday
    - Repeat but minus the solo

Am I close?

Also, what would my entry fees be for the above? $260 ish?

6. Phl218

Phl218 .

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You're close - if we have solos there are no sprints on Saturday. For a non double header it'd be 2 rounds of practice each morning (normally, can vary depending on the track) and the Solo on Saturday and sprints on Sunday. Double header just replaces the solo with sprints on Saturday.

Fees are set out here - http://maps.wera.com/fees/?x=1098

8. ceebus

ceebus Well-Known Member

Thanks guys!

9. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Welcome ceebus!! ^^^This guy here and his family are top notch folks!

10. grady anderson

grady anderson Well-Known Member

Don't necessarily restrict yourself to a SS legal bike. You will be more competitive on a well set up bike with better suspension, brakes and a bit more power in 3 of those four classes. And if you want more track time run HW twins.
    There are a dozen SVs in the WERA classifieds right now with most between $3-4k
    Way cheaper than getting a street bike and turning it into a race bike.

11. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

Welcome. As others have mentioned, buy a prepped bike and save some coin.

12. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

The Tunafish lives!:D

13. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

Yea.... I've been a little overtaken lol

14. ceebus

ceebus Well-Known Member

That's a great point that I hadn't really considered. Having had an SV street bike back in the day, it would be nice to have a properly set up front suspension.

15. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

With all the classes you can run you will be tired after a race weekend with a SV! Lots of prepped SVs out there fairly cheap. $2,500-3,500 will get you pretty good race package. Even cheaper if you look around a bit.