1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intermittent cut out on track

Discussion in 'Tech' started by mpusch, Jun 26, 2021.

1. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Quick context: I've raced this bike (2015 Daytona R) for about two years with no problems at all. Had an 07 before this one.

Have a problem going back to last year's GNF. After one clean day of racing, I started to have this problem occasionally on throttle. It was seemingly random, and having the bike miss a few ignitions while leaned over makes for some code brown moments. I had to skip the race shown in the video below, but some start up cycles the issue would be completely non existant and I was able to run a full race.

I had it on the battery charger just in case it was a RR problem or something, but that had no discernable impact. Also made sure that my foot wasn't accidentally triggering the quickshifter.

PO put a bazzaz on there and I've never modified the map or tried to use the TC stuff on it. I was able to hook the module up to my laptop and read maps - nothing obviously wrong. Didn't see anything wrong with the sensor wire, but haven't followed that to the coils yet.

No CEL active now, though I had a wheel speed sensor error code last year, don't remember if it also occurred during this problem.

Only other thing I can think of is that I pulled the gas tank for the first time before the GNF and was fiddling with the fuel line routing. I don't think I pinched it, and the cut out seems kind of abrupt for that.

Unable to duplicate the issue in gear on stands, and it's not street legal to check out.

Some examples below at 1:00 and 4:30 but there are others too.

Any ideas would be really appreciated.

2. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

How are your battery connections? Anything in btw the cables and battery like tender wires?

3. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Battery has nothing else on it but the normal leads. They're tight and clean. Ground to the bike looks clean and tight as well.

4. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Do you have logging of any sorts, or a diag mode that gives dash readouts of sensors? It can honestly be any loose or broken wire, ranging from ignition coils, to any sensor that puts the the ECU into the wrong part of the map (TPS, coolant/air temp sensors, etc.). Unplug and replug every wiring connector looking for corrosion and/or broken wires, then if they all look okay, then look at running diagnostic on the main sensors.

I'd remove the Bazzaz too if you're not using it, one more possibility to cross off the list.

I'm not familiar at all w/ Triumphs though, you should use the forums to see what are common sensor/electrical failures.

5. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Sigh, had a feeling that might be the answer. Started working my way through it - at least it's a race harness! Would you agree that it's unlikely to be a fueling problem?

Bazzaz does manage the fueling of the bike too, and I'm not sure I should run a stock map with a full akra too much?

6. moto316

moto316 Well-Known Member

yea it definitely doesnt sound like a fueling problem, if it was it usually presents itself when the bike is under load, ie under full throttle/high rpm conditions

mpusch likes this.
  7. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I had a bike sound/act real similar. Turned out to be a failing plug. Was worse at lower RPMs but would act up at higher RPMs occasionally. Sometimes it would clear up as the RPMs climbed. Found one of the header tubes much cooler, and a new plug fixed the issue.

mpusch likes this.
  8. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Great point, ordered a set.

9. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Alright, plugs swapped out and I unplugged and cleaned about every electrical connection I could find. Plugs look pretty good to my eyes, and nothing stuck out looking around under the air box and such. Hoping to go to a drag test and tune to try everything out later this week.

Any other ideas? I'm looking for a new QS sensor to put on, as that seems like the symptoms would fit. Looking back at the video, the cutout just seems so harsh though...

Attached Files:

10. stangmx13

Coils can fail too. There should be a multimeter test in the service manual to check them.

+1 to rice rocket, start checking Triumph forums for common failures. Crank trigger, cam trigger, coils, etc.

11. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Put up a post this morning on a Triumph forum I've been a part of for years. We'll see what else pops up.

Very true about coils, I'll test them tonight. Did a visual inspection and they looked great, but obviously that doesn't mean too much. Theoretically, wouldn't a bad coil just result in one cylinder misfiring? I'm not dismissing it at all, just refining my thought process.

I'll open up the stator tonight and take a look.

Thanks again for your help.

12. Xian_13

Xian_13 Well-Known Member

Just my opinion;

The video seems fuel or complete electrical system related to me.
    If it were a coil or a plug, there may be a stumble and a loss of power, but that seems to be 100% loss of power.

On my '12 676 a month ago, one of the fuel pump leads broke at the connector (while transporting the bike to the track).
    On a '06 675 one of the fuel pump connectors would work itself out.

If this were my issue, I would check the ground wires.
    Disconnect any power commanders, bazzaz.. etc.
    Then I would check my fuel pump, fuel pump connector, swap relays and lastly... The kick stand switch.

-X

mpusch likes this.
  13. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Agreed - It felt like 100% loss of power for a moment. I don't remember the dash flickering fwiw.

Ground looks clean and is solidly mounted...assuming I'm looking at the right thing. Same with battery posts.

I'll check the other items you mentioned and toggle the Bazzaz when I'm testing it if needed.

Attached Files:

14. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

GSXRs had a bit of a history of shorts where the harness connects to the ECU. Similar loss of power scenarios that didnt follow a pattern.

mpusch likes this.
  15. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Took the bike out to a local drag strip and was able to make about 10 runs through the evening without any problems. Including turning the bike on and off many times over 2 hours, riding around some curves, and plenty of shifting.

Hard to pinpoint exactly what the problem was, but I'm thinking maybe just unplugging, cleaning, and plugging in about every connection I could find did the trick. Hopefully it doesn't pop up again.

Thanks again to everyone for all the help.

Edit for posterity: Just checking the Triumph forum post and someone mentioned the Scotchlok connector from the Bazzaz as being a suspect connection (and having had similar problems fixed by soldering it). I had noticed that odd connection previously but as it is in the standard Bazzaz instructions I figured it would be fine. It's possible with all the movement of the wires around the Bazzaz that I knocked that back into an acceptable place for now. I will likely solder that to remove that possibility in the future.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
  16. stangmx13

Ya those connectors fail too often for a track bike. Shaking those wires with the bike running may be enough to see the failure.

mpusch likes this.
  17. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

race weekends seem to bring the demons out in my bike. I've never had an issue unless im racing and then i'll get some random shit like my battery came loose once killing the bike, another time my auto blipper stopped working, cycled the key and checked all connections and its worked ever since

mpusch likes this.
  18. Some sensors have been known to do that in certain frequencies. I remember maybe 07 or 08 a dynojet one doing some sketchy stuff like that.