1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

insurance claim help

Discussion in 'General' started by techhnyne, Jun 8, 2010.

1. techhnyne

techhnyne Well-Known Member

i got hit and ran the other day from the side. i am ok my leg is pretty banged up but no broken bones only tissue damage

but i just got my bike transported to my house until i can decide what i wanna do with it, i dont have collision and it was a hit and run so usually insurance is supposed to cover hit and run accidents.

what would be the smartest way to go about my claim? the bike is at my house right now but i want to start moving forward and have the insurance guy look at it, should i bring it to my local shop or should i just let the guy look at it in my garage?

i dont care if bike gets totaled out or if it stays clean and they fix it i just dont want to have to pay a dime out of my pocket for anything

2. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

If they total it, sometimes it's easier to keep possession of it and buy it back from the insurance company if the bike is at your house.

3. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

If you dont have collision how would your insurance cover it? Uninsured motorist?

4. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Without collision, the OP's insurance wouldn't cover it. UM picks up after the other driver's bodily injury-liability is exhausted and doesn't apply to property damage (in every state that I'm aware of.)

Better go look for someone with a piece of your bike or leg hanging off their bumper.

5. techhnyne

it was a hit and run accident and yes should fall under uninsured motorist.
    i dont understand is one my friends say i will get more money if the motorcycle is at a shop.. im hopefully trying to total the bike out so i can turn it to track bike.
    what do you guys suggest i do

6. AJFLo

AJFLo Active Member

Don't you need to file a report with the police to be claimed by uninsured motorist?

7. techhnyne

wouldnt anyone make a police report if their bike was totaled by a hit and run?
    i didnt think i needed to post that i made a police report for people to assume the police came, i left in an ambulance and everything, so there is a police and medical report

8. YZFBeliever

YZFBeliever Well-Known Member

I know that in NY UM/UIM does NOT cover PD. But I THINK that it is covered in every other state.

So if in your state UM/UIM covers PD then you will need to file a police report and a claim and in essence sue your own policy.