1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Input shaft bearing removal

Discussion in 'Tech' started by melissa, May 6, 2004.

1. melissa

melissa Sir

I'm looking for tips from someone who has actually done this job:

What tools/techniques did you use for pulling the input shaft bearing out of the cases on a 2003 R6 (or similarly-designed Yamaha product)? Last time I looked at it the bearing gave me the finger and said "I'm not budging". I would like to prove it wrong.

2. zrx479

zrx479 Well-Known Member

Well I'll just throw this off track right away since I've never worked on and R-6.:rolleyes:

I assume what you are talking about is a low friction "ball" bearing pressed into a blind well in the case?

If so I'd be willing to bet that if you heat the case up to about 250 degrees and drop it sharpely on a hard surface the bearing will fall out.

I could offer a few other suggestions, but they get a bit radical!;)

3. SBKBee

SBKBee Owner: FZ hotel

Melissa, I have had good luck with heating the case in that area, either heat gun or propane. Then a sharp tap from a deadblow or brass on the outside while the bearing is vertical and can fall downward. Kind of what ZRX479 above said, I just don't drop the cases!

4. zrx479

zrx479 Well-Known Member

Well the terms "barbarian" and "ham fisted oaf" do occasionally enter into discussions of my mechanical practices!:D

5. melissa

melissa Sir

Why I love McMaster-Carr:

I ordered a thin-jaw internal puller, part #6354K2, and received it the next day. Using the puller I was able to easily and without any drama extract the bearing with a few tugs on the slide hammer.

6. RB

RB Well-Known Member

Mr. Magic says " Use the right tool for the job ". Now if we could just fugure out who Mr. Magic is/was.

7. zrx479

zrx479 Well-Known Member

Women, no sense of adventure!:rolleyes: