1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Input from peeps who camp @ the track in their trailers

Discussion in 'General' started by The_Dude, Apr 17, 2011.

1. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

He also leaves the track in an ambulance :rolleyes:

I've been thinkin of pickin up 1 also for the exact reason's, organized, inverter, built like a tank.
    How is your ambul on gas mileage? is it a deisel motor?

2. The_Dude

The_Dude Well-Known Member

Because the cold air literally sucks the air out of the matress... you wake up sleeping on the floor :down:

3. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

4. ChuckS

ChuckS Well-Known Member

Cot, sleeping bag, electric heater+1

Only works for solos though.

5. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

That's crazy, what is that toy hauler made of, lead? I get ~9 towing my 26 ft. toy hauler, 11-12 towing my 6x10 box. Not enough difference to use the box.

<edit> Ok, I'm using my gas tank in my thinking, which is 42 gallons. Thinking of two extra 42 gallon tanks of gas per trip really put it out there.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  6. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

An electric blanket from Walmart was the best $30 I've ever spent, I used to freeze my ass off and now I can sleep in a tent or back of my truck and the cold doesn't bother me at all with that and a good sleeping bag. I don't see the point in a heater unless it gets below freezing.

7. G8rDuc

G8rDuc N00B

8. mattf

mattf Banned-a-lama-ding-dong.

I bet you can get home quicker in that thing too.....just flip on the lights and watch the traffic part for you. Nice :up:

9. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Actually the cold air is just more dense, so it contracts. It's not "sucking" the heat away from your body, but your body will warm the mattress material and allow it to stretch.

that effect, combined with the fact that cold air contracts puts you on the floor pretty quickly.

Aerobeds are like $140, but I slept on one EVERY NIGHT for two years in college (wanted room for a sweet TV and a couch in my bedroom :rolleyes:)

The best part is that you can re-inflate it with the push of a button in the middle of the night if you've got it plugged in. Self-enclosed air pump makes it impossible to forget the pump too.

10. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

keys to sleeping NICE on air mat. and not getting cold like a waterbed with a broken heating element..
    - ya can't continually put an air mat. on the wood floors as it will eventially wear a hold. I have 2, one of em is 8 years old. I always put down those foam 3x3 squares that connect, and an area rug a girlfriend was gonna throw away. Looks kinda nice in the trailer and i stretch and warm up sometimes on it in the AC of the trailer.. and it keeps the air mat. from getting holes.
    - unroll the foam egg-crate cover to give it that "extra touch" of comfort. wall mart carried em for awhile, but i didn't see the thicker foam ones lately, just the thiner ones. I roll em up and store em held together with bungie cord.
    -IMPORTANT STEP: Don't sleep on a sheet only between you and the air mat. That is what i have found makes me cold as heck, even with lots of covers. Sleep on a nice blanket OR sleeping bag laid out flat. Then layers of stuff so you can throw one or 2 off if ya get hot, not one huge blanket that you either are hot or you freeze.
    -$89 or so electric radiant heaters work great. Camped in my trailer dirt bike riding in the mountains of TN during the winter but ya have to crank it up a few hours before to get the trailer warm.

11. LukeLucky

LukeLucky Well-Known Member

buy a 16ft. toy-hauler?

That's what I use and I pull it w/ my V6 Tacoma.

It's awfully nice having a toilet, shower, sink, A/C, heat, and everything else u may want already built in.

12. G2G

G2G I feel the need

This is what I use. Bought 2 cots for me and the GF and an electic heater work perfect in my 6X12 trailer. But lately we put the back seat down in my Tahoe and have blankets and sleeping bags with pillows we sleep with. If it gets cold we bring in the electic heater that has a thermostat so it doesnt get to hot inside. Works great.

13. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

My .02

Go to Big Lots and buy a real mattress. They sell good Sealy or Serta. Then get a little electric ceramic heater. That little thing will heat up my 18' living space in my trailer. I have insulated walls/ceiling. We tried the blow up mattress.... woke up on the floor every time.... Tried the kerosene heater too..... just stunk....

14. r8ed600rr

r8ed600rr Well-Known Member

I have one for sale that I used to pull my trailer with. im all the way in NC.