1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

injured weight management

Discussion in 'General' started by luckyhat12, Nov 1, 2006.

1. luckyhat12

luckyhat12 Silly Blue Rider

Has anyone thought of weight management for injured guys?

I busted up my ankle pretty bad at the GNF and it looks like I have 6-8 more weeks of crutches after this week's surgery before I can put weight on my left foot again. I don't want to carry any more weight around on those crutches than I have to

Last time I got hurt I went on a pity party for a while because it was 6 months before I got my throttle hand back and I gained 25 pounds. I don't want to repeat that this year and it is going to be harder especially with the holidays.

So I can't carry weight to a bench, I can barely carry me to a bench. I can't run or walk so that is out. I don't think I can ride an exercise bike. No water aerobics at the time so I am running out of ideas.

I thought of getting a Total Gym because they don't have weight to work with other than your own self. I was thinking if I could get on the thing I could manage to stay there.

I know diet is HUGE and I am working on it but like I said.. holidays are coming around and this is the south...everyone tries to feed you when they find out you are hurt.

Thanks for the help,
    Chris

2. KK352

KK352 Well-Known Member

Water aerobics would be your best bet once you are able to do it... Maybe when they put you in a walking cast?

Look at physical therapy websites - they should have some good ideas of things you may be able to do.

You could get a wheel chair and do laps.... :eek: just a thought....

Make sure your nutrition is good - good food will help you heal faster... no joke.

3. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

If you think about a normal healthy person may eat about 2000 calories a day taking into account that he is going to be walking around and maybe PT'ing a couple times a week in order to maintain his weight. What you should do would probably drop down to about 1500 calories a day considering you don't really need all that food in order to maintain your normal active self. 500 calories a meal though doesn't sound like much but it'll keep you from becoming a fat ass like you did before. :D