1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Injuneering.... could this possibly work?

Discussion in 'General' started by SirCrashAlot, Jun 29, 2022.

1. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

This more than likely will not work well enough for the effort needed.

Your best bet is to find a cooler/dryer source of air somewhere else and plumb that into your kitchen.

I once worked at a foundry and we rigged up a system that basically just sprayed a fine mist of water through a big industrial fan to cool us off after we slagged the two 4 ton iron furnaces. Melt deck work was brutal in the June-August months. I eventually figured out that by wearing a hoody i actually stayed cooler during the melting process.. Insulation works both ways. After we all started wearing hoody's and sweatshirts under our PPE we actually wee able to slag out furnaces faster because we could be in the "hot-zone" for longer durations without needed a break because of the heat..

Tangent aside, you'd have better luck getting the actual air to cool down by introducing some sort of phase change into the atmosphere. Such as blowing a fan over misted water or even ice. Phase changes take away energy, and the energy needed to change ice to water, or misted water into water vapor/gas will come from the air around it. When energy is taken from the air to perform this task it will lower the temperature. Temperature is a measurement of the average kinetic energy that a group of atom sized particles have. Lower the kinetic energy by forcing that energy to be used during an isothermal phase change process (melting) and you lower the temperature of the air.

*I hurriedly typed this so I'm prolly mistaken somewhere, but you hopefully get the idea.. LOL

SirCrashAlot likes this.
  2. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Don't do it.

They make a little cooler style "AC" for small airplane cabins. Basically a 7 gallon Coleman cooler with a bilge pump and small coil / fan setup in the lid. You can fill it with ice and water and cool the little cabin (Smaller than the interior of a Honda Civic) before takeoff.

I have one, you can have it.

The problem is thermodynamics- cooling that cabin for 10 min will turn a 7 gallon cooler full of ice into 7 gallons of water in about 20 min. And it's humid.

So unless you've got unlimited free ice within walking distance, your beer cans are going to be floating in warm water about 20 min after you turn the thing on.

Phl218 and SirCrashAlot like this.
  3. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I'm guessing this probably worked because the air in the foundry was hot and DRY, kind of like Arizona in the summer. Introducing water cools it down by evaporative cooling.

In FL we have 100% humidity, introducing more water just makes everything hot and wet. Great for memes but not so much for cooling down. :crackup:

Trainwreck likes this.
  4. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

What are you trying to chill?

Have you considered modifying an aquarium chiller ?

5. SirCrashAlot

SirCrashAlot Well-Known Member

I'm just trying to get a cool breeze going. Not trying to cool off a whole commercial kitchen.

6. Phl218

Phl218 .

Drink hot tea

7. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Yup, that's why swamp coolers work well in Arizona and the desert but are pissing in the wind if it's already humid out.

You can't get the benefits of an endothermic reaction if the relative humidity is already quite high.

Gino230 likes this.
  8. 418

418 Expert #59

https://www.icybreeze.com/

I use this in my truck to limit idling at night.

If there is no sun out and the cabin is cool it'll do the job for a few hours. Zero chance it'll actually cool anything bigger than a coffin.

One thing that it has a advantage over the "swamp" coolers is it doesn't make it any more humid than it already is. The air it blows is pretty dry actually.

SirCrashAlot likes this.
  9. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Pony up for a mini split AC if you just wanna cool down that one room.