1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Importing motorcycle from Canada to US questions

Discussion in 'General' started by michaelrc51, Mar 13, 2018.

1. michaelrc51

michaelrc51 Well-Known Member

I purchased a 2012 Aprilia RSV4 from Canada and I am going to be importing it, but I have some questions. Maybe someone here with experience can give me some advice.

My concern is that the EPA and DOT inspections will cause the motorcycle to be not imported as a vehicle being able to be a titled and registered here in NJ. This is because it's basically a track bike that I'll be converting to street and track day duty. It has a full Akrapovic exhaust, race body work, no lights, no brake light switches, no horn, ignition cylinder.......yup, full track bike.

I contacted a transport company but in reading all of their disclosures and such I could be in for a very costly experience if they hold it up at the border. Also, the paperwork is the same as I'd have to dot import it myself.

I don't want to go to Canada and put all the OEM stuff on just to import it, but I'm thinking I might have to.

I also have received a letter from Aprilia stating the Canadian version is the same as the US version.

Does anyone have experience with this?
    Are the inspections pretty basic?

2. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

There's no DOT or EPA involvement bringing a bike across as far as I know. Don't tell anybody anything other than it's going to be a race bike, customs doesn't care.

TurboBlew likes this.
  3. michaelrc51

I wish it was that easy. If I do this I won't get the proper paperwork to be able to title and register it in NJ.
    I have to get the EPA 3520-1 form when the import is done.

4. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I'm only guessing now but I think you'll have to make it all stock, street legal before it comes across then. There's no way the dot and epa are going to approve a race bike that you're telling them you'll make legal later on. Think you may have set yourself up for alot of work. I'd have bought a bike down here.
    But like I said I'm guessing.

5. michaelrc51

Yeah, I’m not 100% sure either.

Hopefully someone who has done it will reply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

In my experience, from 2002ish.

If you import as a race bike to avoid the DOT and EPA stuff, it can only be in the states for a specific time period and then it must be returned to the country of origin.

Sounds like you may have to convert enough to pass before bringing it across the border.

Again, all of this is in my limited experience from 15ish years ago.

Oh, and the import country in my experience was the UK, not Canada.

7. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

If it doesn't have the EPA stamped exhaust and the proper DOT equipment, it's not crossing the border.
    You'll have to make it stock and convert it back after importing
    Plus, import tax based on value

8. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

I bought a race bike and brought it back in 2009, not sure if anything has changed since then but I had no problems, just a bit of a wait while they figured out what I had. If I remember correctly I just needed the customs forms and a letter from the manufacturer saying that the bike meets EPA requirements. They didn't check anything on the actual bike to make sure it was stock, the letter was enough for them even though it was a full race bike with no title.

9. michaelrc51

This is what I’m thinking. I thought I could get around it by hiring a transport company and let them do the import. The company I talked to said they haven’t had any problems with aftermarket bodywork or exhausts, but it looks like it could get pretty pricey if that’s not 100% accurate.
    The paperwork is still the same so it looks like I’ll still be liable and then there’s all kinds of fees if they hold it up. It looks like it could get expensive real fast.
    I bought a stock exhaust and it’s coming with stock bodywork and lots of stock parts but I was trying to avoid a trip to Canada to spend days working on this thing.

I’d pay the transport company tight now if I was sure there wouldn’t be an issue.

10. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Canadian bikes are the same as US models. Usually they are called "North American models".
    Should be noted on the vin tag.

11. michaelrc51

Yes, in this case it’s true. Also, I have a letter from Piaggio(Aprilia) stating it’s the same as the US model, when it was manufactured.

That’s where they could get you.....they say when it was manufactured. Obviously a full aftermarket exhaust wasn’t on it when it rolled out of the factory.

12. R1Racer99

Mine had a race exhaust and no street equipment. Zero issues.

Find the rules online and call to make sure you have everything in order ahead of time, it shouldn't be an issue.

13. michaelrc51

Did you import it as a race vehicle or for street use?

14. R1Racer99

I think I told them it was for street use because there wasn't an easy way to explain the race bike part. It had a clean VIN, bill of sale, and letter saying it was EPA compliant so they couldn't really argue that I wouldn't be getting a title for it just because it had race bodywork.

15. michaelrc51

I spoke with some at the transport company and he pretty much gave me the lowdown. I'm crossing my fingers, he said it'll be fine........guess we will find out in a few weeks.