1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ignorant to GP machines

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by GStar, Mar 1, 2002.

1. GStar

GStar Dark Helmet

Just looking for some informtion here. I know absolutly nothing about GP machines. But i saw a 92 RS250 dynoed the other day and i fell in love. How many changes have been made to that bike in the last 10 years? How drastically do they change each year? If I were too purchase a COMPETETIVE 250 would I need to get an 02 spec bike? Or could I make due on an older machine.

2. Madmike

Madmike Drunk Member

Thats a pretty vague question. Do you have any race experience? Do you have any 2-stroke exp? Are you familiar with how hard a 2-stroke pulls coming out of a corner in the power band? Have you considerd starting out on a 125 instead of a 250? The reason i ask all these questions is there are a lot of variables to being competitive. Older machines tuned properly can compete just fine and smaller machines ( 125 ) tend to be cheaper to maintain. There are a lot of really informed people on this board and many of the Strokers are willing to help with questions and such. Just trying to learn a little more and maybe help you at the same time. The only real problem with older machines is parts avail. from time to time. but an older machine can be just as fun and usually cheaper to maintain and thats really important starting out.
    Mike
    1990 Rs 125

89-90 rs 125 , 91-94 rs 125 , 95-current
    RS 250 i believe is pre 92, and 93-current
    im sure some change are made every year but for parts these are the guide lines
    hope this helps and hope i was right on the 250's i only help my friend with his
    i run a 125 myself

[This message has been edited by Madmike (edited 03-01-2002).]

3. wherewebelong

wherewebelong Well-Known Member

Update "G" we just brought said bike back from Roebling where it spanked a 916, FZR1000, and assorted GSXR,ZX,CBRS etc. First in V7 and took a 2nd in V6 missed by about ten feet at the line. Not bad for an old RS on a fast course like that. BTW Geo figured out what was wrong at the dyno run all was well. He was f&%$ing flying on year old slicks and second time around pistons. You should have come along buddy we had a blast. O ya, the GSMonster is absolutely stupid fast [​IMG]

4. GStar

GStar Dark Helmet

Shit man you guys home already? Yea I wish I could have come. Hey I'll be up in the great white north by tommorow I'll try and give ya a call to let you know where i'm staying.

5. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

I would suggest starting on a 125 first but if not you wont need a 02 spec bike! Get a slightly older model with lots of spares and go try it. If its not keeping up then get the cylinder port work done, etc.

Give Elias a call at www.GPStar.net and tell
    him Chuck D sent you. He should be able to answer your questions and even set you up with a bike and spares. He has several 250's and I just got a second 125 from him.

ChuckD