1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If you could only own 1 rifle,...

Discussion in 'General' started by The H-man, Apr 3, 2007.

1. The H-man

The H-man Go Navy!

what caliber would you choose? And to make this interesting, why?

Would it be 7mm mag? .30-06? .308? .270? .280? 7-06?

Oh yeah. To keep this realistic, we're only talking for general use in North America. Don't go off on a distant mind fu@# dreaming about some African or Asian wild safari :tut:

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ruger 1022. I can plink with it and it's more than accurate enough to feed me where that necessary.

3. KTFO

KTFO Banned

7.62x39

All Day

4. Strick

Strick Good to be king

Tell me what type of rifle you perfer and I will recomend a caliber. Bolt actions? Semi-auto?

Without that I would recomend either .308 or .223.

5. The H-man

The H-man Go Navy!

Like with a Ruger Mini-30 as the platform? Or are you thinking of hunting with an AK or SBS?

6. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

Different calibers have different uses. I can have as much fun plinkin around with a .22 as I can blastin away with a .30-06.

7. slaw0002

slaw0002 Not as fat !!!!!!!

Guns are bad !!

8. Putter

I believe that caliber is exclusive to the AK or AK knockoffs.

9. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

Always been a HUGE fan of the M1 Garand. One of the most rugged and functional rifles ever built. :up:

10. The H-man

The H-man Go Navy!

Yeah, the 1022 is certainly economical and FUN. Debate-able as a single, all-purpose piece.

11. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

Wait til McCurdy sees this thread and posts up his sniper guns. :cool:

12. The H-man

The H-man Go Navy!

Absolutely! I'm quite up on fitting the platform to the need. Kinda like figuring out what software best suits your needs and capabilities, then buying the computer to run it.

I'm just out for general discussion about a fun topic is all. :beer:

13. oldbeginner

oldbeginner Well-Known Member

.30-06 Most everyone compares there cartage to a .30-06 so why not have a .30-06. It's been around a long time, well tested, easy to get, good selection of bullet weights and speeds. I only have one rifle, a Bennilli .30-06. It's all I need.

14. The H-man

The H-man Go Navy!

And so am I mother fu#$er :cool:

Don't be messin' wit THE KID Slaw

15. The H-man

The H-man Go Navy!

Uhhh... no. Ruger's 7.62 x 39mm :clap:

16. Putter

I sit corrected.

Edit - That's a nice piece.

17. Tinfoil hat charly

Tinfoil hat charly Well-Known Member

308 [in a jeff cooper steyr scout bolt rifle: light, handy[short] accurate, powerful, fast

18. The H-man

The H-man Go Navy!

That could be interesting. I've thought about a heavy barrel, .22 target rifle loaded with sub-sonic rounds. Would/is a very interesting urban hush-hush sniper rifle.

19. musclehead

musclehead Well-Known Member

What are you using it for? A 308 is a good caliber shoots flat has a variety of bullet weights. If your a decent shot 500 yards is reachable past that it gets a little more difficult, but if you do have the talent it's good for up to 1000 yards but you better have good optics. Also ammo you can buy in bulk and the rifle itself is available in both bolt action and semiauto. If you plan on shooting a good bit the hotter calibers 7mm,30-06 can get uncomfortable to shoot over an afternoon. If your just target shooting there is lots of good rounds for a 223 it shoots flat, low recoil, and good for about 400 yards. Now if your deer hunting in North Georgia since your shot will be about 60 yards, through brush a big fat slow bullet in 30-30 packs a punch plus if you get a lever action you can be like John Wayne. I really didn't answer your question did I?

20. slaw0002

slaw0002 Not as fat !!!!!!!

I dont have many long guns , just a 22 and 12 G . I only buy handguns now that I live in the city .