1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

if you bought a new truck

Discussion in 'General' started by racer_11, May 27, 2015.

1. racer_11

racer_11 moto nyne guy

that was 8+ hours from home, will it be bad for the truck, that may only a few miles on the odo, to just jump on the interstate and drive it home as soon as you bought it? were talking half ton small v-8.

2. ianjoub

ianjoub Well-Known Member

3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I don't think cars have a "break in period" like bikes do. Most get started and cycled at the factory. I wouldn't go out and do any neutral drops from redline in the first few miles, but driving down the interstate will be fine. It'll probably be more than fine. It'll give everything a good workout, and if there are any bugs they'll make themselves known right away.

4. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

When I bought my F150 a few years back, I made it a point to vary the speed for the first 200 miles. That included down-shifting and slowing to flex the rings. But that's just me.

5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Over 8 hours (500-600 miles) of interstate travel, hills and the flow of traffic should take care of that. Unless he's driving across Kansas or something.

6. racer_11

racer_11 moto nyne guy

not Kansas, but south florida to LA (lower Alabama). yeah, I'm thinking that it would be okay. just normal travel speeds, no towing. the varying of the rpm is something that I would probably do.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Won't matter a bit. Doesn't matter to new bikes either.

That being said I still go old school and like Bob said vary speed/revs/load on the drivetrain.

8. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

Why was it more important back in the day? I remember the neighbors having to break in their 79 Camaro Berlinetta when I was a wee one. Did it have something to do with carbs?

9. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Production tolerances and techniques.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And cylinder coatings.

11. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Exactly.

12. BigBird

BigBird blah

my chrysler minivan manual, said to mix in full throttle accelerations, not from first gear though, in the first 200 miles. the engine is the only thing worth a damn in the entire van (well the cargo space too) so they may actually know something.

13. SBKBee

SBKBee Owner: FZ hotel

Cast iron liners were honed and crosshatched rings had to broken to match. New cylinders are mirror like.

14. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

:eek:

Damn, dude. I feel like we should have been nicer to you during fantasy football season. You've suffered enough.

15. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

I have went home straight from a dealership and hooked a trailer to 2 new Toyota trucks and never had a problem. Owners manual did say don't tow until after 500 miles, who goes by anything in those anyway.

3rd Toyota truck did have a few miles on it before I towed but that's because I didn't have anything planned at the time of purchase. Timings everything.

Wouldn't hesitate one bit to driving one home far off. That's easy.

16. BigBird

BigBird blah

:eek:

It does come in handy, but yeah it does suck..looking for a hatch for the next vehicle.

17. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Drive it like you stole it.
    It's called Broomeing.

18. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

Flat tappet cams required break in against the lifters - that's where the variable RPM break-in is important.

Today - just a few heat cycles, and go to pound town.

A few quick oil changes to get the assembly lube out.

19. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

Its all about "Ball Bearings" , just ask Fletch

20. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Axle manufacturers are why they don't want you towing. Most recommend no towing for like 500 miles or so. For both (eng/ axle) I just dump the oil after a few thousand to get all the junk out then run it like normal.