1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ideas from those that want to play architect

Discussion in 'General' started by Lavana, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Lavana

Lavana The coming

What would be the best way to turn this current built into a 2/2.

I think it will be cool to turn the octagon into the kitchen since most of the time everyone ends up in the kitchen.

I don’t want to build anymore roof. I want to be able to use the current space and split the layout and add bathroom.

Attached Files:

2. sdg

sdg *

Wait one

3. R Acree

R Acree Banned

What is a 2/2 and where are the bedrooms?

4. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Tear down and build it right? Effin round, octogon, etc homes ca die in a fire. Except geodesic domes, those are ok.

brex and TurboBlew like this.
  5. Lavana

Lavana The coming

2 bed 2 baths

6. Lavana

Lavana The coming

Octagon homes can die in fire? Huhh?

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Where is the first bedroom?

8. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

[​IMG]

R1M370, sdg and E Reed like this.
  9. damiankelly

damiankelly Well-Known Member

What is the program for that floor? Two beds/ two baths.. living. Dining kitchen and entry? Is this all on one floor? Then one bath will be shared for guests.
    Can be done. Just will have small bedrooms..

10. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Which way is North?

11. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

can a basement be excavated?? lol

12. damiankelly

LOW budget.. With the vaulted ceilings adding walls is going to cut up the space and not look very nice.. I know you did not want it but putting the bedroom in the gazebo Will keep all the vaulted ceilings.. Just have to add that small bathroom maybe do a low pitch roof to not interfere with the other roof lines..
    upload_2020-3-19_23-47-35.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    Lavana likes this.
  13. Rico888

Rico888 Well-Known Member

So many questions because there is really not enough info...
    To begin with, looks like the gazebo area is really not much more than a screened room with a BBQ...
    What is plate height in the gazebo?
    I ask because if you have enough ceiling height in the gazebo, you may want to consider building a “sleeping loft” in the gazebo with a bath built out underneath the “sleeping loft” area...
    Will you be turning gazebo area into habitable space?
    If so, will you be permitting the process?
    You show no exterior elevations, so I can only guess what roofline details would be based on what I can see in your drawing...
    The drawing seems like it might be a summer cabin to me...
    Like I said...lots of questions....

TurboBlew likes this.
  14. damiankelly

Permit- shmermit! Haha- yes in most places when you add a bedroom you have to prove the septic can handle the added load. Usually a hydrolic load test or sometimes and added tank depends on township etc..

TurboBlew likes this.
  15. Lavana

Lavana The coming

Where the patio steps are

16. Lavana

Lavana The coming

I was thinking bathroom in the open section where the patio steps are and make a room in that section. The vaulted ceilings is a problem :/

17. fastfreddie

What's the climate like, winter/summer?
    Where is it location-wise...on a lake, mountain, desert, forest, etc.?

18. Lavana

Lavana The coming

Summer all year.

19. fastfreddie

My opinion is not completely in line with your ideals but the reality of it is that I wouldn't try to put anything in the current main floor...it's just too small.

The gazebo becomes the Master bedroom. The quadrant of the gazebo containing the wet bar and grill becomes the Master bath. Remove the sliding doors and install French doors.
    Install the tear-out wet bar sink and grill on a semi-covered(?) deck for an outdoor kitchen. Have the deck wrap around the Southwest corner of the gazebo so you can utilize both the door on the West side of the gazebo and the door exiting the West side of the kitchen.

What is the slope of the roof?
    As was mentioned before, I'm also thinking loft. Cover the current kitchen out to the midpoint of the main floor. Have an open-step, L-shaped staircase come down towards the South wall, landing in proximity to the Southeast corner of the kitchen on the South wall. You'll obscure some of the South wall's window, but what else can you do? Putting stairs on the North wall either crowds the openness of the Master entry or interferes with the patio doors. A spiral stair case is an alternative idea.

Put a fireplace or an huge window in the cubby on the East wall...or one big-ass TV.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  20. Lavana

Lavana The coming

I really appreciate your time and reply. The ceilings in main room are about 16-18 ft and the gazebo about the same or a little higher I don’t think a second level will be possible.

I don’t mind small bedrooms but also don’t want awkwardness.

Adding an addition to the roof would be what makes most sense?