1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Want To Race 125GP

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by Bruzay, Oct 19, 2001.

1. Bruzay

Bruzay New Member

I have been offered a 125GP ride for next year by a furniture retailer/sponsor who saw me race years ago. He's proposing to run a 2 bike team in the CCS Northeast Regionals and perhaps a few select nationals. The budget is fairly respectable (which is probably more than I can say for my current abilities) but I'm game nonetheless.

I am 41 and the last 2-stroke I rode was a 1994 RS125 which I loved beyond words. I'm certainly not what you would call a fast guy but in the past I ran respectable (almost)times at places like Road America, Road Atlanta and Bridgehampton. To me, there are few things in life more enjoyable or rewarding than railing on a 125 and nothing else comes close in the "I'm having such a blast" dept. as far as bikes are concerned, but that's just me.

Because I've been off the track for so long, I have no idea what to expect from either myself or those around me. I'd like to know a little about the character and range of talent competing at a typical WERA regional race weekend.
    A current WERA plate holder recently described the people in WERA 125GP/Formula 2 as an extremely friendly, close-knit community who practice and enjoy aggressive but very clean racing. If true, one really couldn't ask for more.

Does anyone have any information about the upcoming 2002 WERA schedule? I'm interested in knowing because I'd like to see whether it would make sense logistically to run some WERA Northeast events. Will Rausch Creek ever be a WERA venue for example?

I am both nervous and very excited by the prospect of getting back on the track and I am hoping to find some learned guidance and/or advice hereabouts.

Finally, I am shopping for a 95-96 RS125 or a 94 or newer TZ125 package with a complete set of new or at least fresh parts/spares.

In the event that everything works out, I hope to meet some of you someday soon. In the meantime, I am sincerely grateful to anyone who can provide me with information and/or advice. Thanks.

Sincerely,

Bruce

[This message has been edited by Bruzay (edited 10-19-2001).]

2. nicoloff

nicoloff Well-Known Member

I agree that this is a great class to get into. The people are definitely great, of course you have your few that can act bothered if you ask questions, but for the most part everybody is more than helpful. THe competition I think is a complete variety package...You have the top guys that are very fast, mediocre guys that have great battles amongst each other, and the poksters that are learning and having a blast. The only problem with regionals and nationals this year is lack of 125 riders. OF course my opinion is the 95'up RS, but that's just my opinion.

Cincy kid...Shane has a nice 96/97 package he's selling since he's scared to race anymore. Definitely recommend that bike,used to be mine.
    Chris

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I don't have any idea just yet on the schedule sorry. If Rausch exists we will defiitely get dates, however until the pavement is down I'm done scheduling races there (once bitten twice shy ya know).

I hope to have everyhting nailed down 100% by the end of November but no promises. I'd rather take a bit longer and be positive about our schedule and not have cancellations or schedule races that never existed.

4. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member

I have a '95 TZ for sale, but the only spares I have are motor spares, some top end stuff, a clutch, and such. It's a reasonable price, though, $2250.

Now, for the advice that I feel I'm qualified to give, getting back to racing after an extended period out of the race bike saddle. I got back in after a 13 year lay out. I think we are probably of the same talent/skills level by the way you describe yourself. I was never a natural talent, but learned enough that I could win CRRC stuff (region six WERA) on good equipment and ran pretty well, top 20, in AMA 250 on undercompetitive equipment when I finished. Actually, that's another story. Anyway, I got back in '99 after 13 years out without a clue as to how I'd do, but with memories and high expectations. Boy, was I disappointed! My first half season I really and truly SUCKED! I started learning and getting faster by the end of the '99 season and in Y2K started feeling sort of fast again. I've been on this huge learning curve for three years and now I feel I'm starting to get there again. But, it's been almost like starting over. Only advantage I had was the years of previous experience and KNOWING what I had to do and accomplish. It wasn't as tough as learning originally because I still had the reflexes, the feel for the tires, the aggression, that sort of thing. I just couldn't connect mind with body. Braking was the biggest hurdle. When I started to finally get that back, I started to feel faster. Just to prepare you for what you're about to do, but don't go in thinking you're going to be on the box first race unless there's only three bikes in the race. It's a whole new learning experience. I could have easily said screw it and given up at one point, but I stuck with it and it started coming back. now, after my third season, I'm on a learning curve again and having big time fun. I just hope you don't disappoint that sponsor too much. He might remember you as you were and expect that from you first race.

I ran two races in '88 after quiting in '86. I can tell you I was a slow expert then. Three or four years out of racing and you get into the mid pack novice range. Five or more and you'll be a back marker at first. Just my experience anyway. Racing is something you have to do all the time to hone your skills. You can't take a break and expect it to still be there, not even a mid year break.

As to the talent level, I can't speak for your region, but there is some unreal good talent in Texas, big grids in 125. The 60 lb kids with no fear and future ambitions, just let the little farts go. They're on daddy's paycheck, don't know what can happen if they crash, and they are just plain good anyway. For guys like me, it's a HELL of a battle just to get on the box now and then. I haven't done it yet in GP this season, though I did beat some jixxer 750s for a second in a CORC race at TWS. But, I had great fun and the challenge of GP has gotten under my skin again. I'm still trying and next year MIGHT be the year, you never know.

The guys that race 125 here do ride pretty much clean and aggressive, as you describe. It's a safer class to be in IMHO than the crash and bang 600s. I've gotten run off track a few times this year, but the only really close calls I've had with idiot riders have been in combined classes where we ran with D super novice/expert and were gridded at the back and there was no wave start. That was dumb.

Jack

[This message has been edited by Jack (edited 10-20-2001).]

5. Bruzay

Bruzay New Member

Thanks Chris. Could you get me Cincy Kid's contact info so I can get with him regarding his bike?

Thank you too Mr. Mongo. I'll be looking forward to the new schedule being released. Could you tell me something about the tracks WERA races at in its Northeast region? I used to run places up here like Bridgehampton and Loudon. Bridgehampton was fun but kinda dangerous and very bumpy leaving a very limited line selection in many places. Loudon I just don't care for. Which are the best tracks in your opinion and why? Sorry to be so inquisitive but before the season starts, I'd really like to size up where and when I'd like to race based on the well informed opinions of people like yourself.

Jack, thank you for your expansive reply. I have high hopes but very humble expectations.
    If I can get my hands on a bike soon enough, I'd like to do a few schools out West or down South so I can see how much (if anything)is left under the many layers of rust. It'll also give me a chance to get comfortable on my new bike and being on the track again and as well as figure out some workable jetting solutions and baseline suspension settings.

I've conveyed a very realistic view to my sponsor as to what he can expect from me next year. I told him that he can expect me to finish races but quite possibly not much more. He's more than happy with that and as a raving bikaholic, he's sufficiently thrilled at the prospect of being in the pits and watching his corporate colors leave snail trails around the track.

6. VitoDuc19

VitoDuc19 MIA

I race (use the term loosely) against some of the 125 guys in F2 on my Aprilia, and Jack hit it right on the head in terms of talent mix.

Congrats on getting a sponsor, but at 41 you're much too old to be racing, now me at young 40 1/2 would be much better suited for that sponsorship [​IMG]

WERA a great group to race with, even with Mongo [​IMG]

Good luck and have fun.

Vito

7. rodnex

rodnex Member

Welcome back, Welcome back, welcome back.

Bruce,

If you don't mind a clogged inbox now and then, I'd suggest you get
    on the 125GP mailing list @ http://www.two-stroke.com/mailing-lists/gp125/

You'll have the ear of many top 125 riders around the country, who
    are more than willing to offer help.

I have found the 125GP class to be a friendly group, extremely
    helpful, and the most fun and closest competition out there.

I've got some good information related to 125GP racing, specifically
    the RS125, on my website @ http://www.fatbaq.com/

Check it out, and good luck.

Rod www.fatbaq.com

8. Bruzay

Bruzay New Member

Thanks Rod. Today I will be sure to get myself on the mailing list you recommended as well as thoroughly check out your site. Thanks for the help.

Bruce

[This message has been edited by Bruzay (edited 10-22-2001).]