1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I bought stolen parts

Discussion in 'General' started by river rat, Jan 12, 2012.

1. river rat

river rat Well-Known Member

about 4 years ago and just realized it. :( I crashed my 07 GSXR 1000 early in 2008 and found a set of mint, complete plastics including the fuel tank and rearsets for $1100. The guy told me he bought the bike brand new and immediately stripped it to put race parts on it. I used all of the parts besides the fuel tank. It's been sitting in storage ever since. Just this past week I pulled the tank from storage and this is what I found (both holes on the tank had tape over them to prevent foreign objects from entering. Ha).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So, now I need the tank for my street bike but the filler has been destroyed. Anyway of fixing this? Vortex cap and base?

2. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Yup, race cap. 1/4 turn caps are what I prefer though. Vortex seem to get stuck too easy. The one my sponsor sent me beging of this year was done that way too. I think it came from a junkyard and they had to get the cap off though.

Your story sounds way more fishy since he claimed he took it off new.

3. tropicoz

tropicoz Well-Known Member

You couldn't get the cap off better? Next time you steal a tank, just drill the lock.:p

4. river rat

I'm brand new at this, gimme time :)

5. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

There's my tank!

6. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

+1

I have a Lightech quick release on my GSXR, and its 10x better than a Vortex. Opens and closes easier, and less prone to leakage

[​IMG]

7. sonicnofadz

sonicnofadz Well-Known Member

I sell a lot of parts on ebay, including gas tanks. If I come across a gas tank for which I have no key, I unbolt the fuel pump and get a really long screw driver to unbolt the gas cap from the inside. This has worked for many suzukis ;)

8. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Did you buy it locally? Post up the info! :D

9. river rat

No sir, I bought it when I lived in Tampa. The guy I bought the stuff from was in Orlando. I wish I still had dudes info, I'd be posting that shit all over the interwebs :/

10. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

When i worked salvage and we got a tank with no key, we called the locksmith to make one.

11. ZxMoke

ZxMoke Well-Known Member

What's the locksmiths number? 911?

12. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Ah, OK. Probably a snowbird from Jersey.

13. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

The tank on my racebike looks similar to that... not that bad though. The guy I got the tank from broke the key off inside the lock (no idea how that happened).

I have a Vortex cap on mine, works just fine.

14. kneedragger29

kneedragger29 Well-Known Member

Or Cincinnati

15. 178SV

178SV now retired...

Doesn't the aftermarket base need a surface to seal against?