1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need some A.O.D. Help

Discussion in 'General' started by Critter, Jan 30, 2002.

1. Critter

Critter Registered

I am in need of a new tow vehicle and I was thinking of buying a diesel Van of the ford variety. It has the 7.3 Litre Diesel Motor in it the Van has 112,000 miles and looks in good shape. I have heard that you tow with a similar vehicle how has it worked for you???

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sam liked it to the point where he bought a brand new one...

3. Critter

Critter Registered

I found one i think I may purchase it is a cargo van 1994 with about 112,000 miles but that seems like low milage for a diesel

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If it's cheap enough go for it and see for yourself how you like it [​IMG]

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And 112k isn't that bad at all for the motor if it's been maintained halfway decently.

6. Critter

Critter Registered

i think i can get it for About 6,000 sound good or bad?????

7. Critter

Critter Registered

they said it was fleet maintained so that could be a good thing

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Fleet maintained is a very good thing, it may have been driven hard but the fluids would be changed regularly and these things don't mind being driven hard so long as basic maintenance is performed. 6k sounds good to mme but do a search on www.kbb.com and www.edmunds.com to see what they are going for in the same condition.

9. Critter

Critter Registered

they said they said retail was about 6800 on kbb i beleive

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

yeah but they are car salesmen... better to check yourself.

11. aod99

aod99 Administrator

Hey Critter,

I am not really an authority on this but that has never stopped me before.

Ford has released a number of Diesel vans. The early 7.3 engines were not Powerstroke motors. They were not turbo charged. Many people have nice things to say about the 7.3 motor but they probably do not race motorcycles. You want the Powerstroke. You want the Turbo. Then you will want the chip. With the chip you can get 500 ft/lbs and about 275-300 bhp.

Vans are great tow vehicles. They punch a big hole in the air for the trailer to follow. And, you can sleep in the back while someone else drives.

ford-diesel.com has more information about all of this than I could possibly hope to impart to you.

-Sam
    AOD

12. WERA29

WERA29 On a mental field trip...

Kinda like Jim on the AOD bike, eh? [​IMG]

I'm always a second or two a lap faster when I draft him in endurance races. [​IMG]

13. Guoseph

Guoseph Soil Sampler

That means you are still slower genious [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. WERA29

Duh, like I didn't already know that Guo. [​IMG]

Jim is one fast mo-fo and I'm just happy to keep up with him for a little while until I scare myself silly and have to slow back down to my normal slow pace. [​IMG]

15. nancy junge

nancy junge Vesrah Suzuki

Oh, I thought this threade was going to be about how to make really strong coffee.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's easy - start with nice dark beans, grind them up to a medium texture, fill up filter of coffee pot to a nice full but not packed level, fill water reservoir, fire up generator, turn on pot.

17. aod99

aod99 Administrator

Nancy Baby,

How is the off season treating you? Melissa and I have been working long long hour. The racing is going to seem like a break.

What have you been up to?

Sam

18. nancy junge

nancy junge Vesrah Suzuki

I've been having such a fabulous time substitute teaching and catching up on bookkeeping and paper work. All this great fun was so rudely interupted when I was forced to go to Japan for the 2nd time in two monthes. [​IMG]

I've also been doing a lot of painting, cleaning, and planning this years garden. Thirteen different kinds of tomatoes isn't too many, is it? I'm keeping the bird feeders filled for all my little friends. I'm finally going to start Japanese lessons on Tuesday. I've also been doing a lot of reading.

And sadly enough, every day the thought occurs to me "IT'S ONLY JANUARY STILL!?!?" I can't believe I'm ready for the season to start already. How demented have I become?

19. WERA29

Not any more. Look at the date and time of your post. [​IMG]

20. Critter

Critter Registered

It is the non-powerstroke version because it is pre 1995 so it does not have the turbo on it should I wait and find one with the powerstroke turbo or will this have enough power