1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need more powaaa?!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Tech' started by backMarker01, Jan 29, 2010.

1. backMarker01

backMarker01 Well-Known Member

Hey guys Im trying to keep my bike superstock and was wondering what kind of service would help me gain some power. I plan on getting a P.C. and K&N air filter, I have a full exhaust right now but that is pretty much all the power upgrades. Also wondering about tuning, does it really help that much? The bike is an f4i. Should I even be worying about power right now or wait till I get to expert level to squeez everything I can out of the beast? I also dont want to spend thousands Im cool with a couple hundred if you guys have ideas but im on a budget. $$$ as in 3 figures.

2. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I would spend every cent had on suspension and track time before I was worried about going faster. Anything that relates to engine power goes up exponentially (as in thousands of dollars) with more horsepower. A good revalve and new-used shock will run you about $1500.

3. Smalls

Smalls 2012 Blue...

+1.....more power doesn't equal go faster......better suspension first and foremost.......

4. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

Since an F4i is not a new bike I would just make sure its making what it started out with. Install new plugs, check the valve adjustment, have the compresssion and leakdown measured, repair as necesary, and then see above...

5. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

diet

6. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Change the gearing.

7. Bad Dog

Bad Dog Well-Known Member

What they all said, make sure it properly tuned up, gearing is right, get the suspension done and get the brakes working better than new, after you max out the bike, then worry about power, :up:

8. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

You're only looking at around 100HP with the F4i. So you're not really going to be making an abundance amount of power out of the thing. Forks and shock first.

9. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

put a 1000cc in it and race CCS...lol.

Otherwise sell the honda and get a bike that makes more HP stock. No better guarantee than the factory.

10. backMarker01

Thanks for the tips! I guess ill check into suspension stuff, what all can be done for the forks. I recently had Penske service them new seals and oil I guess I could get new springs sometime. Ill also look into a shock but I only weigh 135 and was thinking the stock stuff would be able to handle my skin and bones. Ill check the tune up stuff also.

11. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Your weight really has nothing to do with whether or not your stock shock can handle your weight and is good enough...it's all about the valving...an expert will chime in soon to tell you why your stock shock should be the lst thing to go...

12. Bad Dog

www.gpsuspension.com :beer: :up:

13. algunn

algunn Member

Sell the f4i and put your money toward a used newer, lighter, faster, better suspended 600 listed on here all set up for the track already.

14. backMarker01

No way! I am going to keep it and race Vintage in 5 years if it still runs. Im getting 2500 back from taxes so Ill get my suspension all setup. :up:

15. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

Check out Lithium Motorsports, they'll hook you up with a great deal on suspension.

16. bigsmoothe4203

bigsmoothe4203 Active Member

35 motorsports can help you out which ever way you wanna go

17. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

riders being totally equal, you could spend $6,000 on the f4i and it would get waxed by a bone stock 08r6 with race rubber. sorry. just a fact. The newer 600cc bikes today are putting out more in stock trim with pump gas, than you could get from 2002 and earlier bikes that had pipes, mapping and race fuel.

Keep good tires on it, think about running race fuel, maybe keep your eye out for a used shock and have the forks revalved.. but then save your money till your expert year and look for a well sorted year old or so bike. NOW.. all that being said, improve your riding and keep good tires on the bike, and you will beat A BUNCH of riders in the AM classes that have much newer bikes.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  18. Bad Dog

Excellent post and advice, :beer:

19. Europa

Europa Open The Throttle

I agree, when you learn to go fast on outdated gear you will be a terror on a newer bike. I remember racing an ex500 that thing used to jump out of gear shimmy and shake and everything else. When I traded up, I thought i was going slow without all that bike drama. That is until I looked at the stop watch. I think the europeans have it right by having you ride small bikes and work your way up to bigger ones as your level of expertise rises. I think it makes for a better and safer rider.:beer:

20. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

When you need to shave a few tenths off your lap times, go for more horsepower. When you need to shave a few seconds, go for better suspension.