1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

I like both: Prodigy and the Staccato P. I'm not picky other than on price. Had a Prodigy loaner and absolutely loved it.

2. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Yeah...I'm sure you're picky on price. I'm aware of your history of not paying for things or backing out on agreed on deals.

3. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Cool, yes. worth $900.00? No fucking way. You can get the MP5 .22 for sub $400 all day long and I've seen AR22's for $320.00. Add in that you need CZ mags and at $40 a pop, I think you are in the wrong crowd. I'll buy one when it drops to $500.00.

4. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

o_O Dayum!

Steeltoe likes this.
  5. redtailracing

Holy fuck! You serious? I didn't catch the price tag. Yea you're right that's insane. Hell, the 9mm version can be had all day long for under $800 or under $700 with just a little patience if you shop it right. There's a few other .22s I'd have first for half the price, particularly the 2 "HK" (even though they're kinda not really HKs) offerings, if for no other reason than the aesthetics are a vibe lol.

dobr24 likes this.
  6. StaccatoFan

I’ve experienced it first hand.

7. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Hmmm an MG might be worth going through the hoops of inviting someone down

8. S Tsotsoros

S Tsotsoros aka General Tso

Question for the White Plates from a Yellow Plate.

I’m considering a premium 1911 in 45 ACP that I plan to shoot regularly. It will not be a safe queen. Wilson Combat and Nighthawk are on my radar. Is there an advantage of one over the other?

9. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Let me give you the BBS answer of not answering your question and tell you what you really need to hear

Neither! get a SV 650!

Sabre699 and redtailracing like this.
  10. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

I don’t believe so, I’ve had a nighthawk, next time if I was to keep it between those two I get a Wilson Combat just because.

Just don’t get a Kimber. There are an assortment of fine $1200 and under .45’s that are great shooters. You don’t have to go $4000 and up unless you want to, you do you.

S Tsotsoros and redtailracing like this.
  11. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Rock Island would be a good one to start, if you want to confirm that 1911 is the platform you want.

12. StaccatoFan

Cabot is another premium 1911 brand. That may be way past the price point you were considering though. I know their first 2011 style, “The Insurrection”, was like $7500ish. But the name is awesome.

britx303 likes this.
  13. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Everyone should have a 1911 have fun picking. I have a few 1911s/2011s spreading over 7 brands and for the most part they are not that different from the least to most expensive as far as shooting, accuracy, dependability. Triggers are the biggest variable. I’m sure from a ransom rest I’d see an accuracy difference but it wouldn’t be much. You could throw Les Baer in to the mix or Dan Wesson for slumming. Kimbers are fine but for the money they are too picky on what they’ll eat. Also no 1911 collection is complete without a Colt.

S Tsotsoros and britx303 like this.
  14. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Yeah……dang it…….I realized lately I “need” a 1911 still :D

15. redtailracing

Since it sounds like you've got some experience ranging a wide variety of 1911s, I've got a question for you. I've always heard that, unlike many other platforms, when it comes to 1911s the really high end ones (Wilson, Nighthawk, etc.), they are actually the most finicky of all with ammo selection due to the ultra tight tolerances that make the gun so nice to begin with. True in your experience or fuddlore?

My only experience with them has been the most undesirable of all Colt 1911s ever made that I inherited from my dad that stovepipes at least once every 3 mags, sometimes more, and a couple other just run of the mill 1911s that I've shot. Can't remember what they even were though but none were anything close to the really nice stuff. Want to say one was a kimber but that may not even be right.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2024
  16. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

What about a Colt made by my people? Yeah, because they’re pricey, but(t) my C&R FFL will take the sting out of the transfer fee.

17. redtailracing

Just nut up and buy a Singer.

18. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I think with any of the currently available 1911s, you will get a solid shooter. Just go with whatever fits your budget and gunsmithing skill set. With any 1911 you will eventually want to start changing some parts to have it fit your hand. There are so many parts available that you can make it whatever you want. The only thing that I think is mandatory on a 1911 is to make sure it has a full length guide rod, shock buffer good mags. After you have shot it a bunch you can start looking at other bolt on pieces that will make it nicer for you.

19. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

I think there is some truth to the tightness effecting the ability to eat anything but that’s due to other issues that the tightness just draws attention to. I have shot higher end , tight guns but haven’t owned anything above a Staccato so my opinion really doesn’t count on those. Will say no issues observed. The loosest 1911 I own is a GI issue Remington Rand and it consumes any and everything. Me personally I don’t want to spend over 3k on a 1911/2011 but that could change with time.

20. S Tsotsoros

S Tsotsoros aka General Tso

I know the SV is comfortable, but is it accurate past 25 yards.

StaccatoFan likes this.