1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

If you waited......you wouldnt be....you :)

Yzasserina and Gorilla George like this.
  2. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

I’ve said it a bunch but in a self-defense situation you will not get to stand there with the perfect stance, with your hands in the perfect spot, and draw like you’ve always practiced, then shoot at a still target. That’s a good place to start but once you have that down try drawing while seated, drawing on the move, drawing one-handed, drawing with your offhand etc. Shoot a little with only one hand too to at least get an idea of what’s going to happen. The bad guy is not going to give you the heads up so you can get ready.

On the bigger gun thought, the right holster and BELT make all the difference. I like Vedder and Tier 1 a lot.

I started carrying a Sig P938 strictly because it was tiny. I quickly moved to a 365, then a 365 XL, and now my Walther PDP is getting the call more and more often. I think the PDP is about the limit for me. That size gun plus a dot, flashlight, and spare mag start to get pretty heavy plus I have to dress around it a bit. I can carry the XL with anything in my closet.

tgold likes this.
  3. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

I agree. The training you're describing is pretty much what I went through. (And need to go through again :rolleyes:)

4. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

I've GAS'ing hard for a 308 AR but I think the recoil will make follow up shots slower than my 6.8 or 556. I need to talk myself out of it but I'm thinking I could upgrade my BA 556 barrel to something good. The ballistic advantage barrel is ok but I'm taking longer shots and shot placement matters more with the 556 on the bigger hawgs.

What 556 barrels do ya'll like? Noveske has 12.5" in stock which is the shortest I can go with my old 556 surefire suppressor. Any other brands to look at?

5. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Why not just bite the bullet and get a Honey Badger?.

It’s only a couple grand, two stamps and whole lotta waiting.

I’ll let you know when it shows up.
    :D

Phl218 likes this.
  6. Steak Travis

My Ar's are all 2 stamps but I've been at it for awhile. The Ruger SFAR is the 308 I'm interested in. I'm driving down to Destin Thursday night or Friday morning depending on the child but on the way back, If it's still in stock at a store along the way.. It might come with me

7. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

You may want to look at a piston upper AR with a brake. That will minimize a bit of the recoil.
    POF and AdamsArms seem to be the bees knees in that category.

8. Steak Travis

I’ve got a suppressor that’s about 5 months in for whatever I do! Probably need to just go ahead and throw another one in jail.

Also whenever 6.8 becomes available again I need to stack it deep. I’m down to 90 rounds and that can go quick if you get a busy night

9. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Faxon makes really nice barrels. They are local and are also very involved in 2a things. Good people.
    https://faxonfirearms.com/rifle-barrels/

10. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

I built my second 6.5 cm AR10 with light weight in mind and it’s very close to the SFAR. I could have gotten it lighter but the complete rig ended up being almost 4 lbs lighter so I’m good. Follow up shots are no problem. I use the nomad ti and it works great and it’s stupid light.

11. Steak Travis

Ugh you are going to cost me money

12. GixxerJohn011

Good time for all of this AR talk. It seems I am in need of a longer barrel. I went very entry level when I got this one, PSA kit on an Anderson lower. It’s done everything I’ve asked it to do with zero failures and is more accurate than I expected a shorty entry level rifle with bulk ammo to be even out to 200 yards.

Here’s what I’m thinking
    1. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it, buy an entry level barrel of sufficient length, spend money on ammo and training.

2.If I’m spending money I might as well upgrade, buy a better barrel and BCG.

3. Full retard! Buy a Daniel Defense complete upper.

I don’t see myself shooting enough to worry about the life of the barrel but I just put this one together to have an AR, now I find myself wanting nicer shit. Again, no complaints about this one just some wants and I seem to be heading down the “might as well” road quickly.

Probably sitting somewhere between 2 and 3, what sayeth the beeb?

Yes GG, I know the correct answer is buy all of them but I’m trying not to spend more than ~$1,500.

Gorilla George likes this.
  13. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Not sure if "buy a second upper" is in the cards. Might be a way to get option #2 completed.
    You can always buy a stripped lower and parts kit to build your own at a later point once you like what you've bought.

Last edited: May 10, 2023
  14. GixxerJohn011

Unless the actual selling price is substantially higher there are 3 uppers on the DD website that fit budget…besides…budgets are more like recommendations, right?

15. Steak Travis

GixxerJohn011 likes this.
  16. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Also how many brands of ammo have you tried. I tested cheap ammo a couple years ago and found great variations in accuracy. My test gun hated PMC. Couldn’t get under 1.5 to 2” at 100yrd.
    Fiocchi sub 1” at 100. To change out the barrel and bolt is simple and can be done for under 500 with good parts. Last gun I built was for a friend we used faxon and were sub 1”

17. GixxerJohn011

I’ll be going from 10.5” to 16” unless somebody sheds some light on why 18” or 20” would be better. I put a CMC trigger in it a few months back and I don’t remember the brand but also threw in a 45 degree ambi safety, pretty happy with the lower.

For about the last two years I’ve only run Supervel reloads through it. It’s mainly a fun range toy. I focus way more time and money on pistols.

The mags that would be grabbed in a SHTF situation are higher quality and what it’s zeroed with but I can’t remember the brand right now.

18. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

I have 16” 18” and 20”. The only real difference I see is the 16” with a break is noticeably worse on my ears etc. than the 18” with the same break. Those are both competition rifles so no cans but all the rest are canned.
    I find the 20” to be a little cumbersome for 2&3g but great for hunting.

19. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Sounds like you're ready to jump deep into the rabbit hole...action timing, precision barrel-to-receiver fitment, etc.