1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. I got lucky today.

The Trijicon mounting plate to put the SRO on the full size XDM-Elite showed up yesterday. That was the one I ordered priority overnight.

Then the free one from Springfield, that was supposed to take 6-8 weeks, showed up today.

At first, I was like what the shit. But it was a good thing, because I fucked the first one up. :crackup:

It mounted to the gun fine. But when I went to mount the optic, the bolts got tight. They both got tight at the exact same spot, so I figured it was just the loctite.

It wasn’t. :crackup:

I managed to ruin the threads, and break both bolts in half. I had to take it apart and use small vice grips to get the broken bolts out.

Then I had to use the 2nd plate that showed up today. But I was more careful. :D

I hate messing with little shit.

2. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

So what you are saying is that you Gorilla'd it? Seems fitting.

Gorilla George and Sabre699 like this.
  3. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

:rtfrb::D

Gorilla George likes this.
  4. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

[​IMG]

5. Haha yeah. That’s where that name came from, my wife gave it to me after we watched that Rampage movie. She said that’s me going through the house every day. :crackup:

I can swing the shit out of a sledge hammer, and can shove 6-5/8 drill pipe around in a Derrick all day, but I’ll tear up little shit in a heartbeat.

My guys at work say they probably made me a Supervisor so I would quit breaking so many tools and shit. Livengood made a similar comment when he saw broken axles, rearsets, and shit like that in a box in the trailer. :crackup:

The wife said she is going to start making a list of all the shit I tear up every month. :D

I don’t mean to. Like I don’t wake up saying “I’m gonna break me some shit today”. It just happens. I think it’s not my fault, everyone needs to make shit stronger.

jkraft likes this.
  6. Your comment is right there with “I’m just gonna leave the bike stock”. :D

7. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

Wait...You haven't sent Livengood to gunsmith school so he could Superbike your guns?

8. Jed

Jed mellifluous

If only there were such thing as race guns. Oh wait...

Do it already!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

I haven't seen any responses yet specifically to your thoughts on the two.

If you're running the 45 suppressed and running the 300 as a sub suppressed, both will make a great home defense weapon. The 45 has the "smack" of a wider round while the 300 has more penetrating power. The largest difference is the versatility of the 300. A 45 will always be a 45... a defensive pistol round. The 300 can be a hunting round with rifle speeds from a 110gr pill. Then also run a sub 220gr pill for super quiet home defense. Longer ranges the 300 destroys the 45. However, cost wise, you can shoot a sh*t ton more 45 for the price. Probably about 3:1 ratio.

10. You summed up my exact thoughts right there.

I don’t hunt. So all of my weapons are for defense and playing.

My initial thought is that the .45 will create a larger wound channel, while having less potential for collateral damage in the house/neighborhood.

Of course they would both do the job. I’d hate to get shot with either. But that’s the reason I lean towards the AR-45.

I keep defensive rounds in each of them. 185gr HPs in the .45, and Winchester “Silver Tip” defensive ammo (with the expanding Polymer tip) in the .300.

I wouldn’t hesitate to use either, and they are both “staged”. But the .45 is closer to the bed, and would be the first option.

11. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Some of us live vicariously through you.

12. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

I believe the term is “ham fisted”.:D

13. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

If you ever put the 300 by your bed, Hornady makes a great pill specifically for just that purpose. (Home defense, great expansion vs over penetration.) I don't know what the over the counter round would be, but the bullet (from a reloader's perspective) is called the sub-x. 190gr with more of a round nose with ballistic tip vs the usual 308 spire point. Also flat based, made for subsonic. (Boat tail is designed for super sonic, but doesn't work as well in sub sonic.) They have to make a round based off that bullet. It's what I'll be building my home defense rounds off of once my suppressor finally arrives in my hands. I'm right at 6 months now.

Once you finally get your suppressor, make sure your chosen round is subsonic. I'd think a 185gr 45 round would make it into super sonic territory. Guess it's all in how it's loaded though.

Triple X and Gorilla George like this.
  14. Excellent info, thanks for that.

15. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I have loaded the Hornady 185gr XTP in the 45ACP and it was at about 1200FPS out of a 5" 1911. I shot several deer with it at 25 yds or less and was surprised at how ineffective it was. I think the HP just loaded up with hair and penciled through the chest cavity with a 45 cal hole in and a 45 cal hole out. The deer just stood there until I gave them a head shot. This was on 2 separate deer. I would not use a 185gr for self defense. In my mind the 230gr HP at 900fps is the way to go in a 45ACP.

16. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Curious where you got the FPS of the 185 XTP.

Only reason i ask is for last almost 10 years I’ve shoot with 45 rounds.

That seemed fast to me so I checked Speer (5 in barrel, 890 fps, Gold Dot 45 acp round LE round 230 grain ) and Hornandy (5 in barrel, 970fps, 45 auto 185 XTP) from their websites.

17. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

It was a handload that I chronographed. It was a hot load, but showed no pressure signs and functioned well. I wanted as fast as reasonable in hopes of good expansion. I have had great expansion with the 300gr xtp in the 45LC at a chronographed 1225. I was hoping for similar expansion from the 185 and didn't get it.

DucatiBomber likes this.
  18. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Not all hand guns, but a friend passed away and I had the opportunity to buy some of his rifles.

A ruger 700, mark m77 and a mark 77 m2. One is a 22-250
    A .222 an a .220swift. All in excellent shape. Then picked up a xds to go with my hellcat,xdm,and 911. It was a good Saturday

Attached Files:

19. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Thy sure did a number on that care bear! :eek:

assjuice cyrus likes this.