1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I changed jobs. Different facility with different security protocols. Different title, which no longer falls under exceptions in Ohio law.

2. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I need expert info. Will a generation 1 glock (model unspecified) that holds the “pre-ban” amount of rounds fit a newer model of glock?

3. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Yes, as long as you haven't swapped the mag release to the other side on the Gen 4 and 5 pistol.

4. speedluvn

Thanks! I HAD a gen 1. What’s a gen 4 & 5? What’s the difference?

5. shakazulu12

Just cosmetics for the most part. There are adjustable backstraps now, different texture, mag scallops on Gen 5's. Gen 5's have a more accurate barrel, but it's not anything earth shatteringly different. Every new gen is basically BNG.

6. speedluvn

Thanks for the info :beer:

7. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Not much on the Gen 5 is backwards compatible.

8. speedluvn

Splain.

So I need a gen 4 glock to reuse the gen 1 pre-ban mag?

9. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

10. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I own a gen 5 model 19. If you’d like to send me your mag, i will gladly test it for you :D

11. speedluvn

12. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Who?
    Edit: Ah, without getting political, I see there are a handful of states not worth living in.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  13. Marid2apterbilt

Marid2apterbilt Well-Known Member

I think he is referencing the 90s ban on high capacity mags and some NE states that limit capacity.

IIRC
    NY, CT, Ma, and I think jersey have a 10rd max capacity. Factory hicap mags must be indented to only allow 10rds

speedluvn likes this.
  14. brex

brex Well-Known Member

So they are required to use low capacity magazines, since they are all below standard capacity.

15. shakazulu12

No you do not need a Gen 4 to run your mag. You can run your mag in a Gen 5 just fine. Toe' is right from a technical perspective though, there are things that won't swap from a Gen 5 to any other generation. It's just the magazines aren't one of them. Glock would never do that. Things that won't swap depend on what model you have. Off the top of my head:

-Gen 5 (all models) slide will not work on a previous gen frame
    -Gen 5 19 barrel will swap with previous gens though
    -Gen 5 trigger (all models) won't work in any previous Gen
    -Gen 5 17 now uses the same locking block as the 19 (FBI requested this, one less part to stock). Which means that while 19 barrels will swap between gens, 17 barrels will not. I don't know if the 34 and the 17 use the same locking block in the Gen 5 so not sure if those swap. They did stop producing the Gen 5 34 for a bit, then brought it back and it uses a totally different slide without the cutout but weighs the same due to moving the cuts internal.

Probably a few other things. But end of day, if you are still using the stock mag release position, you are fine to use your mags in any gen you want.

BJR119 likes this.
  16. speedluvn

Thanks!

It WAS a 22. Considering a replacement. Not exactly sure Inwill replace with another 22.
    What are the pre ban mags worth? Rough estimate?

17. shakazulu12

No idea, I don't live in a ban state or even know what state you are in. Local gun forum would be best on that and just in case, look up your local laws on selling the mag if you do. Regarding a new pistol, Glock isn't making a Gen 5 in .40, so the latest Gen you can get is a Gen 4 and everything swaps with earlier gens. Keep in mind, Glock still produces new Gen 3, 4 and 5 pistols so you can still buy a new gun in whatever gen you want.

18. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

Define pre-ban mags? Pretty sure you can get whatever you want in the free state's left. I run run to PA or VA all the time for 33 round fun sticks.

19. triplestrong

triplestrong Well-Known Member

It's a State thing. NJ is now (or will be VERY soon) limited to 10 rounds in any pistol mag. Maryland probably sucks in the same way. Anyone with 15,17, etc..round mags can modify them to be compliant. There's probably a thread in the dungeon about it but I don't care to look much in that dump.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  20. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

Yeah Maryland has the 10 limit. Fortunately I'm an LEO however, I can still buy the high capacity mags but they're still more expensive than the free states