1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Jocko Willink gets the question often as to which martial art is best for self defense. He gives the same answer every time. Buy a gun, learn to use it. I think he'd know. Shooting well is a martial art. No question.

shakazulu12 likes this.
  2. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Wanna fight over Affliction shirts, 'Roido? :Poke:

Scotty87 likes this.
  3. pickled egg

And when all you train with is a hammer, is it any wonder you mistake anything you see for a nail? :Poke:

4. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Head back to the dungeon dude... You're going full retard here.

5. pickled egg

That's a compelling argument. Thanks for that eye opening perspective. :moon:

6. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I think you may have misremembered. I have heard him say countless times that Jiu Jitsu is the best martial art for self defense. He says that until you're tangled up with someone, you have the option of running away. Once somebody has hands on you, there's nothing better than BJJ.

I met Jocko once. Although he declined the my offer to roll with him (thereby saving my life :D) he was pretty damn cool and as imposing a man as his voice would suggest.

7. pickled egg

Of course the best defense is to never leave the turret and have amazon drone drop your ammo... :D

8. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

To draw a pistol and deliver a fatal or at least incapacitating shot in a life threatening situation? It takes a ton of skill. In fact you have to be so good that you react without thinking.

What I explained earlier was that I watched a competent, if not master gunfighter repeatedly have his weapon taken away from him by a BJJ brown belt. Even at a distance of twenty feet, he was unable to access his gun and get ONE shot off before my coach was all over him.

It's true that your assailant will not be a brown belt, but also true that you aren't as good as the instructor with a gun. It evens out.

Elderly and disabled or young and heathy, if a meth head rushes you 10' away, and a gun was your only protection, you're fucked.

9. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

I train in an MMA gym. Notice I said "I train" and not "I'm an MMA fighter", because I know a real fighter will kick the shit out of me. But I may have an advantage with 98 percent of the rest of the population. I've never worried about an attack from an ex-seal, BJJ expert or Bruce Lee while carrying. I have ended a fight with a crackhead with a 1911 pointing at him when multiple solid blows prior to that didn't seem to be slowing him down.

No, didn't have to pull the trigger. Dude was full batshit crazy animal while we were hand to hand, but the second he saw what was in my hand he froze. I suspect that is more likely what real life is like elsewhere vs Chuck Norris roundhouse kicking the gun out of my hand. YMMV

Getting back on track, anyone shot a CZ Shadow 2 yet?

10. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Also back on track: Buying a Kimber 1911 for a gift. Recipient is a competitive shooter. 9mm or .45?

11. shakazulu12

Which discipline? USPSA, IDPA or Steel etc? It really depends on what rules they are shooting under as to whether minor or major power factor is beneficial.

Minor PF = IDPA ESP, USPSA SS.
    Major PF = IDPA CDP, USPSA SS. Could also run IDPA ESP, but big disadvantage with 8 round mags and shooting major.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  12. TZ250lover

TZ250lover Well-Known Member

If you are going to buy a kimber, buy used. They don't hold their value. They are decent guns but if you ever need anything from the mfg, good luck. Their service sucks

Springfield is a much better choice in 1911, imo.

9mm 1911's don't function as reliably as 45s. 38 super is a better choice, but then your ammo choices are limited, and more expensive

[​IMG]

13. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Holy shit you guys are over my head now. He's a recreational shooter, nothing too serious. I don't know what sanctioning body at all.

I'll look into Springfield. He mentioned Kimber years ago and is kind of a labels guy so that's where I went.

It's an employee who's been hustling his ass off for too long without a complaint or dip in attitude. Just want to get him something nice. Any disadvantage to .45?

14. shakazulu12

Oh, if it's just recreational, then nah. Get a classic .45 just because. I would also vote Springfield over Kimber. Lifetime warranty and they actually stand behind it big time. Best customer service in the business. Easier to find mags that work as well. That said, I have to say that shooting a 9mm 1911 is almost video game easy. Big steel pistol shooting 9mm feels almost like a hot .22 round.

15. G Costanza

G Costanza Well-Known Member

Good bang for your buck 1911 that seems to meet the needs of your friend is the Springfield Range Officer.

16. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Nope I didn't misremember. I listen to the podcast weekly. He also tweeted it more than once.

17. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

18. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

They also have a deal until the end of the month that includes extra mags. I'm thinking I'll be getting one as I don't have a 1911.

19. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

+
    +1 on Springfield.

I've been carrying a pro-rail on duty for the last 10-12 years. We issue our guys the same. We beat them to death... I have around 30k of 230gr through mine. A few barrel changes and refurbished to make it pretty again and it keeps going.

20. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Kimber used to be top shelf but they have gone down hill. I've heard many complaints from kimber owners lately and have experienced poor quality myself . I
    I agree with these guys, stay away from Kimber, you don't want to give a gun with issues as a gift. But if you want to spend more and get a really nice 1911, this conversation changes.

Definitely go .45 in a 1911.