1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I know it's a scam, but how does it work?

Discussion in 'General' started by RubberChicken, Dec 21, 2012.

1. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

I keep getting emails to my business website that ask what credit cards I accept. They are so obvious, because the strangled syntax and tortured grammar give them away. Here's one from today , the third one I have gotten from this address in a few days.

"Hey My name is Becca winston am hearing impaired person i have a motor cycle in my former home that needs engine repair,it would have to be towed to your shop if you can do the repair for me as I'm currently recuperating from an ear surgery so i am paying with my credit card so can you do that for me and what type did you specialize on here is my phone number for text message only.((323)250-6356) get back with me asap ?
    Thanks"

What I am trying to figure out is how does their scam work? If I accept their credit card for a phony payment, where is the mechanism they use to steal money or email addresses? How do they profit? Usually it is easy to see the trigger to the trap, but i don't see this one.

Does anybody know? Please don't waste time with suggestions that I bait her and 2xidb, etc.

2. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

They use a fake card, you ship them product, they resell it or you provide service and they dont get the bill. Simple.

3. BC

BC Well-Known Member

She's gonna overpay and have you forward the surplus $$ to her shipper. By the time your cc company reverses the charges because the card was hacked your out the money sent to the shipper.

There is no bike.

4. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

There's something going on with this "hearing impaired" bullshit. I'm trying to sell my PU truck and I got two different emails (thru Craigslist....) from a hearing impaired person. They can't call so business can only be done over the web. They wanted to buy the truck, site unseen, and they would send their shipper to pick it up.....I responded that I would only accept cash and that we would meet at the bank so the bank could verify it wasn't counterfit....only then would I transfer the title.
    I was surprised when I never heard back. :D

5. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Anybody who is heading impaired (aka deaf) is going to have a TTY system. If you call you go through an operator. Don't believe this we can't do it over tge phone bullshit.

6. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

^

Word of warning, we get a couple people per month using TTY to try and scam us.

7. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

We do too, I have yet to get a real order from TTY.

8. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

That scam has been going around for at least 8 years. I am in pharmacy retail and we used to get those call almost daily trying to order diabetic test strips. They are simply trying to separate .themselves from the fraudulent transaction by using a tty service.

9. novice201

novice201 "I'm a robot chicken!"

Us too. Used to be REALLY common, less so lately. Always felt bad for the operators just trying to do their job. They'd want 100 new tires shipped to Zimbabwe or something.

10. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

I can see when they order some product, but these people are not asking to buy product. They want service on a vehicle. When they bring a vehicle, and I am already tipped off that it is a scam, I simply say "Sorry, your CC was declined, you gotta pay cash to get your bike back." 31 days later I can own the bike on a mechanic's lien.

Really, guys, I've been in retail business for 38 years. 8 of those years were in a section of Brooklyn, NY that seemed to attract scumbags, hustlers and grifters of every stripe.

This one is some different scam. I think it is somehow attached to calling or texting the phone number. I suspect that they spoof the business phone numbers that text to them and try to hustle other people out of CC numbers.

11. tunawest

tunawest Well-Known Member

I'll never make deals with the devil, and i'll never make a deal with a deaf oceanographer

12. I just got an email from "FedEx" this afternoon telling me that my package couldn't be delivered and would need to pick it up. There was a link in the email for a receipt. I order way to much stuff online and never have problems. I also wasn't sure what package this was so I just skipped the middle man and called FedEx. They informed me it was a scam. The scammers are using ups too. I couldn't figure out what the scam could even be. They tell me I have to pay for shipping fees from an overseas seller to get my stuff, maybe ? Either way, My new overpriced watch was at my house waiting for me when I got home. I good

13. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

World is full of this shit. I literally hate selling anything now because of all the idiot losers working an angle.

I wish upon them the worst you can imagine and even then I am not completely satisfied justice is done.

14. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Has anyone else gotten an email from "You Tube Service"?

I didn't open it, but the subject line referred to my You Tube account, which made me suspicious because I don't HAVE a YouTube account.

15. mike w

mike w Knarf's buddy

had a bunch but not in quite awhile

16. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

I have yet to not tell them to Eff off when they start that shit. :D

17. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I just get tired of all the ED and sexual improvement emails. I mean, how do they find this stuff out?