1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I just saw the video.

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by todzuki, May 13, 2004.

1. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

Everyone please read the above over and over and over and over. It is a very concise, to-the-point explanation of why racism is so pervasive in 2004. And no, I'm not calling youa racist. I'm saying that calling a couple of rednecks attacking a black guy an isolated incident, and not an ongoing problem is absurd in the literal sense.

Are there actual pickup truck-draggings that result in beheadings regularly? Probably not, but there aren't videotaped beheadings in Iraq regularly either.

2. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

You are correct, un-taped beheadings occur on a regular basis in Iraq

3. Slider82

Slider82 Well-Known Member

Please show me examples of this pervasive racism.
    It was an isolated, widely denounced incident.

I can show you examples of terrorist atrocities every day.

What was it today? Murdering the acting Iraqi counsel President and 6 or 8 other people, most Iraqis.
    Comparing black people getting poor service at Dennys' to what happens daily in Iraq is ridiculous.
    A day by day record of all of the black people tortured and/or mudered by racists in the US in the past year will suffice. If you feel ambitious give me the the last ten years worth.
    Should be a quick read but I'll reserve comment until I see the facts you post to back up your claims of rampant racist attacks in the US.

4. Robert

Robert Flies all green 'n buzzin

But in general people in the US weren't worried or scared. Which makes all the difference.

5. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

Do you live in fear? I doubt the American public is scared and worried about the beheading of Mr Berg. They are disgusted and angry.

6. jwb

jwb but... I AM NAPOLEAN!!!!

i promise, it will be just racing and boobies!!!!!!

:D :D

7. Tex

Tex Well-Known Member

Exxxxxxxxcelent. :D

8. jwb

of americans?

9. jwb

you see, this is what happens when you step away for a minute...
    someone steals your thoughts and your thunder!

do you all get it? his name is dr. thunder!!! hahahahahahahahah, i kill me sometimes, i really do!!!!

the following poor attemp at humor is being explained because it is obvious that some here just do not GET IT.

10. jwb

failing to see the correlation between two seperate incidents and the resultant lack of public outrage for one as compared to the other is "ridiculous."

face it, racism is still a problem in america. true, people do not get dragged behind trucks on a daily basis, but take a look at the number of blacks in our prisons, the percentages are overwhelming.

why is that?

simply reducing the effects of racism down to "poor service at Denny's" is even more "ridiculous."

and another thing, can you really call the bombing or beheading acts of terrorism?
    i really look at them as examples of what happens when people are AT WAR.
    perhaps we say they are terrorists acts just because it makes us feel better about killing brown skinned people.

11. Tex

Tex Well-Known Member

Ok..you just lost your ride. :p

What does the number of blacks in prison have to do with racisim..that has to do with the number of blacks caught and prosecuted. Perhaps it is racially motivated prosecution?? They still did the crime, and are therefore still criminals. Just like every race represented in prison. Criminals are criminals. Stay in school, get a job, and make yourself a better person...this is universal. If there was an influx of gay, mexican, phillipino prisoners you could play the minority card as well. What if white people were the majority..would that mean that racisism was finally on a downslide?

as far as the decapitations:

and I don't believe you can compare the two incidents. There are two VERY different sets of circumstances, two different motivations, and two distinctly different mentalities behind the murders. Both are horrific, but only one stemmed from a Jihad. There is a huge difference between "I hates dem dern neegros" and "Praise Alah I will destroy the infidel."

Both are parasites on all that is good, but neither is like the other.

12. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

Ok...this unfathomable level of ignorance cannot possibly be overcome by anything I'm likely to come up with, so I give up. this whole time I've been reading and posting in this thread I've enjoyed the give-and-take and the arguing of various points.

This just makes me sad.

...I'm out

13. jwb

tex,

i know for a fact that you are smarter than this!

to think that no one in prison has been wrongly accused, prosecuted, and convicted is naivety to the point of absurdity.
    how much of this is racially motivated (i hate to use motivated because it suggests a serious agenda and i i do not think that is the case, more of a subtle ideology that influences the descisions as a whole) is debateable; but, the fact is, our judicial system likes to put blacks and other minoritys in prison way more than whites.
    the reasons for this are way easier to discuss than to prove.

that being said, i have always said prison is the easiest place to stay out of... of course, i am white.

as far as the much discussed (to adnauseum [sp]) beheadings, i agree they were committed under different circumstances, by different people, for different reasons.
    the point was the one has spurred a much different
    national reaction and one of the reasons for that is that is what the sheep herders want.

in my mind, the berg murder is much more "justifiable."
    it was committed during war, for reasons stemming from war time actions, by people who are at war.
    whether you do or do not agree with their reasons is irrelevant... or better put, should be irrelevant.

of course, i will whore myself to any opinion you want as long as i get a ride on the mighty xr.

;)

14. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

Dang, jwb. I re-read Tex's post, and I don't think he said or implied this. Are you sure Tex is your hero? ;)

15. jwb

actually, he did imply this, read it again.

What does the number of blacks in prison have to do with racisim..that has to do with the number of blacks caught and prosecuted. Perhaps it is racially motivated prosecution?? They still did the crime, and are therefore still criminals.

this, to me anyway, implies that if you are in prison then you cimmitted the crime, cut and dried.

and that is simply not the case.

and yes, without a doubt, unequivicably, no question...

TEX IS MY HERO!!!!!!!!

16. Tex

Tex Well-Known Member

No doubt that people get wrongly convicted. But to think that it happens so often that it is racially motivated is absurd. Between 1990 and 2000 the number of black prisoners dropped, while the number of white prisoners increased.

You have to remember, that the majority of crime seems to take place in low income urban areas. Focus on "cracking down" on drugs is also something that has increased over the years in inner city areas. Who are the primary residents of inner city areas? Bingo. Yes, the struggle to get out of the situation is one that I can't fathom, but it can be done. So many dedicated people make that climb and refuse the lifestyle that results in jail time.

Almost half the prison populations are violent offenders. Growing up like I did, I can tell you that they don't send first timers to prison, and rarely second time offenders. So we can safely assume that black or white, half the prison population are repeat offender violent crime commiters. Could we say from that, based on the prison population that minorities are more prone to not learn their lesson and become repeat offenders?

I guess my point is you can look at the prison population numbers and conclude almost anything. Yes, some are jailed wrongly. But most state penn residents are repeat offenders of violent crimes, followed closely by repeat drug offenders.

I'm happy to have those kinds of folks behind bars, black or white.

17. Tex

Tex Well-Known Member

and yes,my implication was that race has little to do with the number of prisoners. NOT that nobody had been unfairly sentenced. Point-Jay. :D

I firmly believe that crime is the reason in the majority of cases. I say majority, because there are always exceptions.

Last edited: May 18, 2004
  18. ysr612

ysr612 Well-Known Member

national public radio said brought before a judge for the same crime a white male will avg a harsher sentance then anyother group.

19. Tex

Tex Well-Known Member

Could it be that different races commit different crimes???

Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

:D

20. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Of course, you do realise that racism is not confined to this country or to whites, don't you? Or have you never had any actual real-life experience working and living among others who are non-white or non-American?

In my personal experience, racism and prejudice is just as prevalent among Hispanics and Blacks and Asians as among whites.

As far as the assertion that the dragging death of that man was somehow commonplace or indicative of the attitudes of a large portion of the white population, that's unsubstantiated nonsense.

Even the comment about blacks getting poor service at Denny's shows ignorance of the actual situation, which involved an immensely small percentage of Denny's employees and restaurants and was blown totally out of proportion in the press.