1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I hate these Barriers- RIP

Discussion in 'General' started by etemplet, Oct 15, 2013.

1. etemplet

etemplet Well-Known Member

2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

They save lives if you're in a car but are horrible for motorcyclists.

3. HFD1Motorsports

HFD1Motorsports BIKE TUNA

Not the cables fault...Toyota vs slow merging bike jumping to left lane being punted off road. I would rather have the cables there to catch the cars from crossing over anyday vs not having them. It has helped here on 985 a bunch

4. darylbowden

darylbowden Well-Known Member

Pretty much all barriers suck for MCs since they were engineered for cars.

5. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

Sadly, there isn't much any barrier that can be designed to stop a car or semi that will be safe for a bike. It sucks, but there's not much any way around it.

6. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Sorry they're gone. Glad they went together. Hope they didn't leave any young kids behind.

7. etemplet

etemplet Well-Known Member

This isn't about who's fault it was but that the barriers are unsafe for cars and deadly for motorcycles. Be careful when you are in the area where they are used. There is little margin for error when you leave the pavement.

8. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

Two ways to look at it: those barriers hurt if you run into them but they help if they keep a car from coming across and hitting you head on.

9. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Fucking IL-DOT out them in I90 at the WI/IL border. They had them ON the fucking fog line. They are removed for now, they are widening the interstate to 6 lanes.

Its one thing to put them IN the median, its a whole extreme level of stupid to put them on the fog line with no run off what so ever.

They are so concerned with crossover accidents, put k-rails (jersey barriers) up or if the median is wide enough, gravel traps.

10. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

+1

Not a fan of the way these things are done. Build a wall, make gravel traps, sink a moat, anything but a cable guillotine.

11. HFD1Motorsports

HFD1Motorsports BIKE TUNA

Just like racing if yu run off the track long enough you will hit something hard. It is a interstate hwy mostly straight 65-70 mph how hard is it to stay on the tarmac? It is like some of the cruiser guys I hear talking I had to lay it down to not hit something....Just like the guys in the mountains stupid cagers do not know the rules of the road...The tar snakes limit me on how fast I can go...you crash here and they may never find you...I did the dragon in 60 seconds flat...ect Bikes have 2 wheels and the road was made for 4. Be smart and be safe the person to save you is you behind the controls of the bike.

12. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

When some idtio smacking on a cheeseburger changes lanes into you, or even better a semi? You can get punted by someone else in a moment. And there are those cables, sometimes not even 10 ft off the road, just waiting.

13. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Although they WILL snap you car back into the oncoming traffic. [​IMG]

14. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

Yup, there are inherent problems with most any partition system. Even the wrong hit on a concrete barrier will shoot you back out. That's a complex problem that still needs more development.

15. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Yep! :mad:

16. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I'm trying to remember if I've ever seen these cable barriers? They must not be used as often in Cali as I can't remember seeing them.

Looked it up on Wikipedia and they aren't used in Europe, because of danger to motorcyclists.

17. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

I agree. We have them everywhere here in Misery.