1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I failed my motorcycle endorsement test...

Discussion in 'General' started by Skits, Apr 22, 2011.

1. sowega

sowega #710

The real reason they failed you is because you didn't corner low enough.

Rookie.

2. GSVR 946

GSVR 946 Banned

Or even gayer, a ninjette?

3. novice201

novice201 "I'm a robot chicken!"

Same test...I had to redo it 'cause I hit the line going too fast. Who'da thunk that was even possible on a 84 XT600?

4. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

:crackup:

5. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

Lick my taint.

6. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

From what I've heard and read about M/C endorsement testing, I'm glad I never had to fool with it.

I had already been riding for about 5 years by the time NC started requiring it, so I was "grandfathered in."

On the subject of a previous comment, I almost got a ticket for stopping at a stopsign without putting a foot down. I demonstrated to the LEO that it was possible by stopping again, rolling backwards a few inches, and proceeding without touching a toe. On my BSA.

7. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Threw my leg over my first bike, a BSA 500 in '65. No fathered in clause to this. I won't pay it. Catch me if you can.

8. scubabill

scubabill Member

Tell me you won't stop if they have a case of PBR...

9. ow01

ow01 Well-Known Member

I took my test (parking lot) on a GS1100E. The pipe was so loud, the tester and I couldn't hear each other. He yells at me "Just go ride!". So I ride around, come back, and he dryly says "you passed".

This was in like 1983. Now it takes about a year, and in the test they follow you in a car with a headset for about 5 miles. Glad I got it back then!

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Took mine on my DRZ since I figured the wing would be a bit clunky for the test - the DMV lady in GA laughed when I did a stoppie on the panic braking part :D

11. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

Took mine in Vermont on a BMW R90S in 1977 after about five "operating without a license" tickets. They had a course with cones, and one part had the cones closer together than the BMW valve covers. I weaved in and out to miss all of them, and the inspector wanted to fail me for weaving until we actually rolled the bike up to the cones and he saw the problem.

Then I discovered that all of those "operating without a license" tickets never got posted onto my car license, whereas all my subsequent tickets got posted. I should have never gotten the endorsement.:tut:

12. bella749

bella749 Well-Known Member

I took mine in Cali... you had to weave through some cones, ride around in some circles and weave back through the cones.... er, some shit like that.

I passed it first-time on a Ninja 250, but there was a dude on a Ducati 750F1 and an androgenous woman (I think) on an old Kawi police cruiser. Both of them dropped their bikes in the circle-turn madness. Kinda painful to see the Duc go down. I graciously offered up the two-fiddy, and they passed on the next go-around.

13. rwood64083

rwood64083 Gifted as in 'DUHHHH'

There are a handful of comments about taking the MSF course to get their endorsement. For those people, thank you :up: It's a well structured course that not only benefits a beginner rider that's never been on a bike but also the court appointed, the military required (to ride on base), the old timer figuring "it's time", people wanting to check learning to ride off their bucket list and also the people just wanting to learn better riding tips and safer operation. George McConnel and myself are both MSF rider coaches/instructors on the weekends at the local community college. We've seen our share of people show up for class with a less-than-enthusiastic outlook towards taking the course because it may not have been an option on their part. But by mid-day Sunday they always show a sense of gratitude saying they've learned a lot and had a good time.

As far as the licensing issue is concerned (in the state of Tennessee), the DMV reserves the right to re-test even if you've passed an MSF course. But I've never had a previous student contact me and tell me that's happened. I guess I look at it like this: why would a state office such as the DMV want to waste their time testing someone who holds a certificate issued by a state certified instructor?

I just wish being a racer were half as good as being a rider coach teaching people how to ride. I'd be a track monster :D

14. hotnail

hotnail Well-Known Member

Thats what happened to me. After motorcycle racing and understanding exactly how fast you can stop a bike, she wasn't sure what to think when I got it stopped so quickly after your front tire crosses that line.

Btw, I also took mine a few years back even though I never ride on the road and dont have a street bike. I just kinda felt wierd racing and not having a valid motorcycle endorsment. I borrowed my buddies wifes little 500cc cruiser.....worked like a dream! Taking it on a big bike in Ohio would be a nightmare. Sportbikes prob wouldn't be a problem at all here.

15. RJG79

RJG79 R6 guy

I can't speak for other branches, but in the Navy it's not required for just on base, it is required for if you ride at all..

16. Joe barton

Joe barton Well-Known Member

Mine in memphis was a breeze- No riding test and the largish DMV lady kept humping my back and shoulder while guiding me through the written portion. I felt cheap and used but did not have to come back. Life is full o compromise

17. BC

BC Well-Known Member

I kept putting off getting mine(for about 20 years). Was going on a trip and planning on doing a bike rental so I got the learners permit. I was delivering a bike I'd sold and got stopped. Hadn't realized the permit had expired, and got gigged for about a $600 ticket for riding without a license.

I called to make the appiontment to take the driving part of the test and was informed I just missed the deadline and now Florida requires the MSF course........FML.

The class was a joke. The supplied bikes were mostly 20 year old honda rebels that barely functioned. They had a few scooters for people who were gonna be riding them on the street. ( Wierd how they got to test on little automatic scooters but recieved the same licence as the rest of the class).

There were some folks who had never ridden anything before, and two days in that setting was no where near enough to send them out on the street. If I had to bet I'd say at least two of the 16 in the class are dead if they actually hit the street.

The instructors were more worried about turning the fuggin petcock on and off and making sure you could duck walk the bike properly. Controlling the bike at speed didn't seem to be a priority.

I somehow managed to keep my mouth shut and pass, even though I ran out of gas during the skills part of the test. :D

18. Jack Brock

Jack Brock Well-Known Member

I had a parking lot test with quite a few different tests. The funny one was 2 lines about a foot apart that had a gradual bend, and the whole thing was maybe 100ft long max. Guy tells me, keep it between the lines, and I can't go any quicker than 30 seconds!!!!!!!! This was 01 on a F4i, thank God I had a fair amount of riding experience. I would barely getting it rolling and clutch it. I get to the end, and the guy says I came really close to a line, and I only took 23 seconds. I'm thinking this test would be impossible on any bike, WTH? He let me try again, and I did it completing the distance in 31 seconds. The guy says "holy shit, I was just messing with you because I don't like sport bikes, you really just had to do it in 10 seconds or more". Gotta love it.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  19. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

I took the MSF class and the riding test portion gave you voucher you showed the BMV so you could get the endorsement. I loved the tests where the instructors told us the particular skill was pointless (turn around in a parking spot).