1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I bleed WERA blue, but…

Discussion in 'General' started by yokohama1, Apr 17, 2024.

1. yokohama1

yokohama1 Well-Known Member

ASRA announcing today that they will be at VIR 8/3-4 this year. Will be great to race my home track. Hopefully this opens discussion about WERA getting back and doing endurance there again. It was the place the series got revived at.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Hell, we ran the first motorcycle races when they reopened and they don't care. I'd guess Evolve gave up a trackday to make it happen and we don't have any of those at VIR to swap out with racing. Either way it's not remotely likely at this point.

3. yokohama1

Sure, but could you have it like a normal endurance weekend with an N2 trackday Friday, endurance Saturday and sprints Sunday? Several years ago I was told VIR only wanted three day events. It’s obvious they aren’t really interested in bikes.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They never cared what options we tried, just offered some shit weather dates and nothing else.

5. IL8APEX

IL8APEX Well-Known Member

ASRA making a push in the midwest too, with Gingerman, and Pittsburgh, and KTM contingency money.

-T

6. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Are the racing schedules screwed up like Blackhawk….trying to jam all the racing into one day?

that’s a recipe for failure.

7. IL8APEX

I didn't dig that deep yet.

I did an "all in 1 day" weekend once with the AFM. The first race meeting of the year 2022 was a hot mess, as on race weekend Saturday Southern California actually got (wait for it...) RAIN! It was a deluge with 40mph winds all day. So they ended up running a full 17 race schedule on Sunday. It was amazing, a well oiled machine. Much respect.

-T

8. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Not saying it’s not possible but in a scenario like you describe, however I’m curious- how long were the races on a shortened weekend?

9. IL8APEX

Many were shortened, for sure. I think most went from 6 to 5 and 10 to 8. It was not ideal, but because of the anticipation of the first race weekend the racers were cool with it and didn't throw many bikes down the road because they knew there would be no time to fix before the next start!

The ASRA strategy in the midwest surprises me... last year even WERA struggled to fill grids on weather questionable weekends. Do they really think the market can bear more? I get the Pitt and Gingerman dates, but do more people want to race at Blackhawk?

-T

10. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Still holding out for Putnam:D

TLR67, fzrkidd, SteveThompson and 2 others like this.
  11. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Gonna be doing the track day weekend at Putnam June 14-15…you should come Kelly.

Penance for missing Tally. The 1G Network was underrepresented.:D

12. yokohama1

VIR knows it’s going to be shit weather, on any given weekend, 6 months out? :beer::beer:

13. rd400racer

Interesting you mention that because we were looking at doing the Commonwealth track day on May 26th, but I didn't really want to go Memorial weekend. Give me some info on your track day.

14. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

I’ll give a call or text you this week.

15. rd400racer

All good. I found the one you're talking about and we may join you. Only minor catch is that Nelson is the following weekend.

16. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

I may try and join as well. It’s been a couple years since I’ve been on the track and ready to make a return.

rd400racer likes this.
  17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I know you don't want to schedule a race there in November through March...

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  18. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Stick could sell some snow tires...

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  19. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

That sounds horrible. But if WERA goes in those bad weekends, I'll be there to support them.

dtalbott likes this.