1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am now in the club!

Discussion in 'General' started by crashman, Jan 15, 2021.

1. I hired a lawyer but in reality should’ve done it on my own. It’s give or take $5k.

2. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

I moved here in spring of 2001, got my conditional Green Card in spring of 2003 and my unconditional one in 2005. I did it without using a lawyer, it was a little complicated but nothing that someone with good comprehension skills shouldn't be able to manage, it's harder for someone whose first language isn't English though. The only problem I ran into was when I sent my application to the wrong place, which was where I was told to send it to and they returned it with someone else's photographs. I've looked at the citizenship stuff and it appears a lot more straightforward than the Green Card application, it seems that once you have one about seventy five percent of the work is done.

3. Citizenship is way more straight forward. I got my green card around same tone as you, only issue I had was the post 9-11 stuff where they just kept extending my visa because they put everything on hold for a bit.

4. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Since when did you have to be a citizen to vote here. Asking for a friend

crashman likes this.
  5. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Well, you can take your chances, but I think its 10 years if you are caught.

6. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

That only applies to Federal elections. State and local elections can differ in their rules. I don't think any states allow non-citizens to vote but there a few localities that do so.

7. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

Congrats, now go buy a gun.

969 likes this.
  8. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Congratulations!
    :flag:

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's what I've always wondered, why pay the lawyer other than convenience? Yeah it's government paperwork but shouldn't be that hard to sort out.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You guys seriously want to get this stupid after last weeks pogrom (yes, people dumb enough to go dungeon in here are an ethnic group :crackup:)?

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Some situations can be more straightforward than others. Some government workers can be more difficult than others. When you're doing something that important, the peace of mind of knowing you're not screwing it up might be worth it. The citizenship itself might be easier but the green card stage, I wouldn't blame anyone for retaining a lawyer.

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

And yeah, there is definitely one of doing here who have earned the right to join the group. I find that compulsion amazing. It's like they literally have no power over it. :crackup:

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Oh I don't blame them at all for doing so, it's more the whole saying it's a necessity and part of the cost of getting it all handled.

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Well, there is no requirement that you hire a surgeon to remove your bad kidney either but most people include the hired labor when talking about the costs. It comes down to whether you want to take your chances with it. :D

Now to be more serious, don't discount the fact that English might be a second language to a lot of people applying and a lot of that legal/admin stuff can be very intimidating when you know just enough English for your job and daily life.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    motion likes this.
  15. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

And add to that... they don't want to make mistakes and be forced to go thru the churn cycle again.

HPPT likes this.
  16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I think for a lot of people it was the same as me getting travel visas to where ever. I could have done it myself but for the amount of time, stress, not wanting to interact with some foreign gooberment bureaucrat and just not wanting to risk f@ckin' it, ponying up the dough is a better option.

I also usually got better results with letting a pro do it versus my doing it (getting a 10 year visa versus a 1, 2 or 5 year visa).

Canadian Bacon likes this.
  17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Oh, that part was already the basis for my first response to Mongo. Totally with you on that.

18. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Ok bonus points for using pogrom. :bow:

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I can absolutely see a translator being an expected cost for some - and with the documents it may as well be a lawyer so that makes sense.

20. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

I first came over on a Fiance Visa, we did it all ourselves, didn't think about using a lawyer, I didn't even know you could hire one at the time, I still wouldn't have used one though. Getting my visa was a lot more work than the Green Card, but as I said earlier and Papa reiterated if English isn't your first language it could be quite problematical.