1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hydraulic clutch engagement point, modifying rod?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by eppy01f4i, Mar 31, 2024.

1. eppy01f4i

eppy01f4i Well-Known Member

Bike in question - 2023 KTM superbike GT

Would taking a small amount of material of the rod in the pic below move clutch engagement closer to the grip/bar?

I prefer a close grip point.
    Others have also said the bite point is quite a distance from the bar and one person said he removed material from the rod and it helped.

Curious if anyone knows if this will work before ordering a spare rod to tinker with?

IMG_5698.jpeg

2. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

What will likely happen is it’ll work for the first pump, then the piston just won’t return as far, and subsequent squeezes will feel the same as original, or worse you’ll have the slave over extend and pop out. Get an adjustable lever instead?

eppy01f4i likes this.
  3. eppy01f4i

Yeah, I’m leary to try it without more info.

The stock one is adjustable for throw length, but that doesn’t move bite engagement point.

4. Zoomie

Zoomie Well-Known Member

Yes it will move grip point closer

5. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Why wouldn't it return all the way if he fully releases the lever ? The shorter rod should actually let it be fully returned sooner.

6. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Just like as your pads wear on your brakes, the pistons only really retract as far as they're pushed back. Shorten the rod, and the push back distance will be reduced.

7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

an adjustable lever wont accomplish the same thing?

8. eppy01f4i

From what I can tell riding the bike only a small fraction.

9. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

some pro dirt riders switch the master to a smaller bore type that requires less effort vs the larger bore. There should be a number underneath that identifies the bore size.
    Also you can zip tie the clutch lever to the bar & turn the bar left over night. Could have an air bubble

10. eppy01f4i

Replacement with a Brembo has been a thought, $300+ kinda sucks. lol

I have reverse bleed, zip tie over night, normal bleed.
    Has helped a small amount but not to my liking. From what others have posted seems to be an issue with these bikes.

11. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I don't think that is a comparable situation. Brakes rely on the stretch of the dust seal and piston seals to retract the pistons. The clutch uses springs so the pushrod would be pushed back the same distance every time.

12. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Right, it would be pushed back to the same starting point each time, which would be moved inward some due to... that shorter rod. The clutch isn't going to somehow push further back to account for the rod being shorter, it's mechanically limited by the stack height of the fibers and steels.

Also, on brakes that seal retraction, it's not much, pump a piston out some time to see it in action.

13. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Yeah, I think you are right. I got confused by the clutch springs being more positive in piston return than brake seals, but the net result would be the same. The clutch lever would still need to travel its full length to disengage the clutch.

14. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

I think he is talking about rod at lever which is external part of hydraulics. Master will always retract fully against internal stop. Rod between master and lever will bring lever closer if shortened. Only problem is there may be free play in lever and need to fill that gap. Assuming this lever/rod is what I think it is.

Banditracer likes this.
  15. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Good Quality adjustable levers will do what you're after..(CRG/FP/ASV) there are others, just don't go the cheepchineesum or PSR, route.
    I have both CRG and FP (shorties) on my 990SuperDukeR and 950SuperMoto, zero complaints about the engagement points

No they are not a Free$$ modification..however worth the $ IMO.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2024
    TurboBlew likes this.