1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hurricane Michael

Discussion in 'General' started by Sabre699, Oct 8, 2018.

1. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

The drone must be inside that helicopter. :D

Unbelievable destruction. :(

2. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

Depends on how much they had reinsured. I have a few clients(insurers -big ones) that actuallly made money on the Santa Barbara wildfires. They get their exposure reinsured and depending on what polices they’ve purchased insurance on, they hedge out their potential losses.

Only time will tell.

The reinsurers are primarily Bermuda based so when you hear about the big losses, etc a lot of times it’s the Bermuda based companies.

omatter34 likes this.
  3. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Having been through a lot of hurricanes, my heart hurts for these folks.

All the insurance and FEMA in the world can't help the toll this shit takes on a person.

4. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

What is different about the buildings left standing and the ones that are not? Built after 1992?

5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Or before 1970?

6. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Yeah, I’ve been going there since the late 80’s. It was always a nice alternative to the insanity of PCB. MX was always had the Old Florida feel to it. A lot of building dating back 20-30y at that point. A lot of cinder block and stick construction. The Clinton era boom brought growth and Andrew brought new building codes statewide.

7. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I noticed that too, everything completely gone then one standing there relatively unscathed. Told my wife must be a big difference in construction quality.

8. dantheman

dantheman Yeah, it hurt.....

What was the name of the bar right on the beach? Toucans or something like that? I loved going down that way myself when I lived in PCB a few years back. Thoughts with all of them. Can't believe the pics I'm seeing.

9. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

Toucans is gone. Friends have a condo down there and they have been posting stuff from the aftermath. It is going to be easier to sum up what is left rather than what is gone. Three house that were built in the last year across the main road from their condo are now in the condo buildings front yard. Gas and water lines are still attached.

10. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

From what I understand it doesn't matter as the current codes only cover up to about a Cat 3 anyway.

11. alan

alan Well-Known Member

Yeah Toucans. I just had lunch there on Friday when I was there for vacation. Crazy seeing the pics.

12. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

I think lots of the damage is from the storm surge, and as far as I know there’s no building requirements to hold up against storm surge. I guarantee now the owners have to fight with the insurance companies what caused all the damage, storm surge or the wind....

13. That’s hard to wrap your head around seeing all that destruction.

14. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Two days out Michael had a 20% chance of increasing to CAT 3. Even Dr. Jeff Masters predicted a CAT 2 at landfall with possibility of a CAT 3. Nobody predicted a CAT 4 at landfall. Lots of people have weathered a CAT 1 or CAT 2 no big deal. I think folks were caught off guard.

When you get above a CAT 3+ (Katrina, Mathew, Maria, Irma) it's time to pack up. Those don't leave much behind at landfall. Even here in central Carolina took a pounding. Far worse wind damage than Florence.

15. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, you are correct. There will be a lot of issues with deciding what policy is responsible for the damages. I'll be heading up next week to assist policy holders with these and many other obstacles that they will face when dealing with their claims.

16. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

I just added flood insurance for my house, $450/year, and $250k/$100k coverage with a $1250 deductible for each, pretty good deal I think since I live 3 blocks from the beach in Central Florida.

17. speedracer170

speedracer170 Well-Known Member

I live in Panama City and got really lucky with my house. The roof is missing a lot of shingles, have some water damage in the ceiling, 1 broken window, ripped down my fences, and some other minor damages. I’m still trying to wrap my head around the amount of destruction in the area, just seems like a never ending nightmare. I do have to say a huge thank you to all the first responders, linemen, and other recovery crews who have been working non stop since the storm!

815940EE-51AB-4D74-A5ED-25D6CB2BD7C8.jpeg