1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to get airbox off an 08 R6

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Matt H, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Matt H

Matt H ah, mi scusi

Need to replace a broken throttle cable on someone's bike I was borrowing, but it appears I need to get the airbox off. I have the damper off and the tank lifted. Any help? Thanks in advance.

2. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

3. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Wow, pretty surprised that's just right up there for the public. Thought you had to buy (or steal) those.

Matt, the airbox is two pieces. The top half is secured to the bottom half by a bunch of Philips-head screws around the perimeter; remove these and take off the top. Once you're inside the airbox, there are six 4mm allen bolts securing the velocity stacks to the throttle bodies. Loosen those until they wiggle (don't take them all the way out), and the airbox will then be loose.

4. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Also, you may find it easier to replace the cable if you also remove the throttle bodies so you can manipulate the cam more easily. There are four 5mm Allen clamps that hold the TBs to the intake boots on the engine; loosen those and then rock the throttle bodies back and forth until they pop out of the boots. Depending on how far you want to be able to take them out of the frame, you'll also have to disconnect the sensor and servo wires on the front side. The one on the right side is a bit of a pain; I find that using a flathead to depress the little clicker and then another to gently pry the connector out a little bit goes a long way toward making it easier to pull off.

5. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Googled it ;)

6. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

nice, lol :beer: and prudence, thanks :)

7. Turbo storm

Turbo storm Well-Known Member

I was just gonna recommend a 3 foot long screwdriver. :crackup:

8. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

A hole....get it right...he's not preggers.

:Poke: :D

9. Matt H

Matt H ah, mi scusi

Thanks guys - I'll be taking a look at it again tonight.

10. Turbo storm

Turbo storm Well-Known Member

Sorry, my bad. :beer:

11. Matt H

Matt H ah, mi scusi

12. borgy

borgy Well-Known Member

lol is that an aftermarket bird filter?