1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to fix "sticky" throttle?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by breakneckPace, Mar 31, 2012.

1. breakneckPace

breakneckPace Well-Known Member

Does anyone here have a good solution for solving a 'sticky' sort of throttle? When I twist the throttle of my R6 and watch it return to the default position it seems rather slow. it doesn't stick completely in one position or anything, it just doesn't snap back like you'd see on most bikes. I've tried cleaning the area on the throttle where the cables wrap around to try to free up anything that might be causing some friction, but it didn't help all that much. are there any good fixes out there to get that nice quick snap back to my throttle? Thanks for the help!!

2. HondaGalToo

HondaGalToo Well-Known Member

This might sound stupid, but it's caused mine to bind a bit: Is the rubber grip contacting the starter switch pod? Another reason mine was returning slowly once is because I got a bit carried away with grip glue.

3. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

if there is not enough free play in the push, idle, or return (or whatever else you might want to call it) cable, it will cause a slow return.

4. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

This is usually the cause if cables and tube are lubed and free.

5. breakneckPace

cool, thanks for the info! I'll check it out and see if that all fixes the problem!

:beer:

6. mv1

mv1 Well-Known Member

Also Watch your grip over hang. If it lays over the internal plastic throttle handle insert piece overlapping on the clip on bar this will cause extra unwanted resisitence as well.

7. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

This.

do it right at the throttle with the barrel adjuster. Check push and pull but 90% of the time if you back off the push a turn or two it works.

8. iceman017

iceman017 alive and kicking

9. bergs

bergs Well-Known Member

Not sure if this issue has been solved already but if all of the suggestions posted all check out fine then there could be contaminates between the throttle tube and bar.

Additionally, there are people who believe this area should be lubed/ greased when really it should be dry and clean.

10. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

Only speaking from my experience. I bought a race bike and soon discovered the throttle would stick. I then found that the throttle cable was rubbing against screws that were holding the race fairing stay. The cable was trashed.

If you've got the cash I would spring for a Motion Pro Throttle Revolver. Riders Discount had a good price on them. And you can change the throttle settings with different inserts.

11. Turbo storm

Turbo storm Well-Known Member

:up: Call Riders Discount and ask for TJ.

12. breakneckPace

thanks for all the advice. I finally managed to work on the bike some tonight, but sadly wasn't able to fix the problem. I'm guessing it's all gunked up inside the cable, so I might try replacing those.

very tempting to check out, and I know this is a dumb question (and I'm sure I'll get the RTFRB response), but are these legal in superstock?

13. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

Yes they are.

14. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I just replaced throttle cables on my bike, and getting the return consistently smooth was kind of a chore.

Lots of adjusting at the throttle-body end of the cables. But that's obviously something you want to get right...

I'd say it's worth removing the tank and fiddling with things. If one of the lock nuts has started to vibrate loose, you could have slack in the cables that's making things weird.

15. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

Bent bar can cause it also.

16. CPav

CPav Active Member

To somewhat piggyback on this topic...
    My R6 has been giving me very inconsistent throttle action for a while now. Cables are clean, lubed, free of binding, no grip issues, etc... Here's my situation: When cold, the throttle is heavy and VERY slow to return. Warming the bike up to temp in the pits, speeds the throttle action up to about 80% normal. Hot off the track its totally normal with a good snap in its return. So far, it hasnt been much of an issue since on track it's hot and funtions normally. Although, I have noticed that once it gets hot it picks up some slack and has too much freeplay for my liking. I am a bit perplexed by the inconsistency. Any ideas?

17. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Having been out of the bike scene for a few years I have to ask this question and offer this suggestion on throttle cables. (or even clutch cables)

Question is, do most bikes now have Teflon coated inner cables? If so, do the factory people suggest lubing them with anything? The reason I bring this up is that BMW does not suggest lubing the cables since it encourages the accumulation of dirt into the assy causing binding. I have encountered this on more than one occasion.

Might be worth considering. Good luck.

18. RxRC

RxRC Well-Known Member

Like this.

Make sure cables are adjusted, lubed, grip is not touching switch housing or end weights, clip-on is not bent. You could also spray a bit of silicone between throttle tube and bar. That's about it. Snap!

Attached Files: