1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to fix 04 GSX-R 750 front brakes?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Cesar77, Oct 2, 2004.

1. Cesar77

Cesar77 Well-Known Member

How do you fix the problem that the front brakes on the 04 750s get really soft and screw up! I talked to ryan gordon and his brake was comin back to the bar and causing the throttle to stick open!!

2. V-raptor

V-raptor Well-Known Member

Stick Open...

How is that explain......... is the brake lever pressing the trottle ???...

brakes feels vague and spongy ?
    ----bleed them properly...
    ----check your pads...
    ----check for oil marks on rotors...

None of them...
    replace brake fluid....
    replace brake lines with aftermarket

My 0.02 cents...

Ride Safe....

3. YSRkid70NC

YSRkid70NC Banned

Everything is good, motul race brake fluid, vesrah RJL pads (new),
    I think it's the calipers, what else could cause it.

4. V-raptor

UH...

New pads uh....... how many miles on them.... remember they took some time to seat properly......

is the spongy feeling started with the new pads..?

anyway is not a bad idea to check if your calipers are working properly,

Ride Safe.............

5. Trev230EX

Trev230EX Put me in coach

Master cylinder is the issue. Suzuki Dealers will replace it, they know about it.

6. HFD1Motorsports

HFD1Motorsports BIKE TUNA

The radial masters suck on the suzukis.......

7. V-raptor

Good.....

We have learned something........gona check mine.... je je je

Ride Safe,,,,,,,,:beer:

8. YSRkid70NC

YSRkid70NC Banned

Trev320NV, I sent you a pm

9. HFD1Motorsports

I wonder what they are going to replace it with? A new one?? New part number?? or is it we will replace it with the same POS they have now?? I have seen this problem on all of the bikes regardless of the Manufacture date..

10. GrahamB

GrahamB Well-Known Member

What is the problem with the M/C? The one on my 600 seems fine, although it's a bitch to bleed properly and it never gets rock solid. Works fine however. Better than the old ones, anyway.

11. HFD1Motorsports

How long does it work "OK" they never stay bled...

12. Shane_6r

Shane_6r Team Squid Racing

The one on my 600 I haven't had any problems with. Running 3 hr endurance races. Though we don't use the brakes very often so maybe that is part of it?

13. gixxer759

gixxer759 EXPERT #55

'04 gsxr front brakes

Kevin, I've talked to several people with '04's nad they all say the same thing about spongy or fade near the end of a sprint and all of them had steel braided lines, good pads, race fluid etc... Good luck, sorry I can't help ya though. :confused:

14. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

Its not the 600 thats having the problems, its the 750's.

15. HFD1Motorsports

Oh the 600 is just as bad trust me....same thing as the 750

Shane_6r What kind of brake fluid do you use??

16. GrahamB

GrahamB Well-Known Member

Ok, I guess I'm just used to bleeding them all the time.... I only do 10 lap sprints.
    Do Suzuki have some special seal design that sucks in air?

17. mdr14

mdr14 What?

A large part of the problem you are having is with the Motul brake fluid (also sold under the ferodo, Silkolene & EBC name)

It is a European made fluid that does not seem to be compatible with the Japanese Rubber seals.

It is a problem I have seen since 2000 when they switched over to the new formula.

Maxima Super Dot 3 racing seems to work OK

You will need to replace all of the rubber seals in the brake system now that they have been contaminated.

I will state the brakes suck to begin with, but the fluid makes a bad situation even worse.

18. Rich SmithMoore

Rich SmithMoore Well-Known Member

Can you substantiate this statement? Motul DOT 5.1 is marked as compatible with SAE DOT 3 and 4. It is NOT a DOT 5 fluid. If what you say is true a Federal recall should be initiated.:mad:

19. mdr14

mdr14 What?

I don't know about the motul 5.1, i have no experience with that. Unless I missed something in a previous post, no one specified model of motul fluid. I took a leap and figured it was the motul 600, which is the most common that people use.

I bet the Motul 600 isn't a bad fluid if you are just cruising around, getting a loaf of bread occasionally. But under race track conditions, I have witnessed too many brake lever fade problems and had too many brake lever fade problems that had the Motul/ Ferodo/ Silkolene/ EBC brake fluid as the common denominator.

I theorized that since the rubbed had swelled, that under braking pressure, the fluid ended up pushing on the rubber instead of focusing on pushing out the caliper pistons.

20. mdr14

mdr14 What?

I don't know about the motul 5.1, i have no experience with that. Unless I missed something in a previous post, no one specified model of motul fluid. I took a leap and figured it was the motul 600, which is the most common that people use.

I bet the Motul 600 isn't a bad fluid if you are just cruising around, getting a loaf of bread occasionally. But under race track conditions, I have witnessed too many brake lever fade problems and had too many brake lever fade problems that had the Motul/ Ferodo/ Silkolene/ EBC brake fluid as the common denominator.

I theorized that since the rubbed had swelled, that under braking pressure, the fluid ended up pushing on the rubber instead of focusing on pushing out the caliper pistons.