1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to find rental apartment in another state???

Discussion in 'General' started by lrrs517, Apr 27, 2019.

1. lrrs517

lrrs517 Internet Investigative Officer

I am going to move to Utah for a while. I been looking at Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace. Some people have application fees? I don't trust that. Any advice is appreciated.

2. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Usually the application fee is to help weed out deadbeats and possibly pay for a background check. Don’t let that keep you from applying for an appt you really like.

3. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

apartmentfinder.com

I have a friend who spends winters working in warmer climates and she stays in Air B&B’s, so she has some ease of changing up if she doesn’t like the place.

4. brex

brex Well-Known Member

5. lrrs517

Ogden.

6. onenut

onenut Well-Known Member

Just a thought- I have moved around the country a few times in my past and I had my best luck with moving into a hotel in the new place first "you can negotiate pretty decent rates" if I could not go before hand and scout out a place in person.

ducnut likes this.
  7. Chango

Chango Something clever!

We're about to move to Tulsa for grad school and we've been looking on Zillow for rentals.

8. lrrs517

I am seeing that Zilllow, forrent, apartments, apartmentguide, trulia dot coms all have the same listings. With google if I just write apartments then the city I get the apartment complexes.

9. _indy

_indy Well-Known Member

Things could have changed. Utah was an odd place for housing.

Where will you be working. Utah's a big place.

There are a lot of weekly hotels chains now. Plan on staying there a week or two.
    Find the local area paper (won't be in the big city papers)
    Guess at least half have a sign out front saying FOR RENT and won't be listed period.

10. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Ogden has some iffy areas. You could use the other sites for general reviews of neighborhoods, but check the KSL classifieds for local listings that wouldn't be on the other sites.

11. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I list my rentals on hotpads and craigslist. Zillow tends to pick either of those and puts it on sister sites.

12. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

+1 I refund the fee if they end up taking possession of the property.

13. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

I've moved a few times around the country for work.

If you are single, the Y (YMCA) in some places also may rent rooms, and I've used that a few times successfully.

[And because I know someone will chime in, no its not like the Village People song - typically, the rules are fairly strict]

TurboBlew likes this.
  14. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

That did it. :crackup:

Yesterday the blonde child was experiencing the days of disco via yootoob, and searched out the YMCA video :crackup:

15. Mot Okstef

Mot Okstef Scrolling all day long on RRW.com

DUH! It's Utah. Call up @cortezmachine and you'll have naked strippers on your kitchen counter in no time! :crackup:

16. lrrs517

Retired. Prolly will work at Snowbasin in the winter.

17. _indy

_indy Well-Known Member

I liked Snowbasin and Powder Mountain.
    They used to have an A frame chalet that the G.I.'s from Hill AFB could stay at real close to Snowbasin.
    Since your up in the mountains, would be checking with Snow Basin, ask others what they are doing.
    There are some nice homes out there that need baby sitters, watch the joint, manage repairs and have a free place to stay with a little extra $$.

18. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

I live in OKC, shoot me a note if I can help guide you at all although I only know enough to be dangerous.

I too used Zillow, Realtor, etc when I was renting a house in TN. It really sucked and unfortunately always does this time of year.

19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Buzz killer.

20. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.