1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to check compression on spare motors

Discussion in 'Tech' started by vance, Jan 15, 2018.

1. vance

vance *

Just tore my hamstring Saturday and there's no way I'll be able to swap motors in the bike. I need to get compression numbers for two motors sitting on the bench. What needs to be wired up?
    Starter
    Stator?
    Neutral light switch? (I think that's what that is, see pic)
    Oil pressure sensor? I think that's what that is, see pic)
    Gen2 EX500 engines
    Ideally I would like to pull the bike over to the bench and run longer wires to the starters and whatever else might be needed.
    wiring1.JPG wiring2.JPG wiring3.JPG wiring4.JPG

2. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

Use a battery and some decent jumper cables. No bike needed.

Boman Forklift, Phl218 and TurboBlew like this.
  3. vance

vance *

Ha! Who knew? Thank you very much. That makes it much easier. I’m assuming since the bike’s wiring harness isn’t involved, a car battery won’t do any damage? That would be incredibly easy.

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

autoparts stores usually have a start switch setup you can clip wire to the battery & starter.
    less than $10 but they may have loaners as well.

vance likes this.
  5. Phl218

Phl218 .

As said: Battery, then positive on the (right) starter terminal, negative basically anywhere on the engine

vance likes this.
  6. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

EX500? Those things don't need no stinking compression!

vance likes this.
  7. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

do a leakdown instead....

MGM, toybm, mike-guy and 1 other person like this.
  8. vance

vance *

I was going to say wait until you see the for sale thread in vintage but you old guys have seen much more impressive builds than what I've done on these old bikes.
    That is a fantastic idea. I don't suppose I need carbs or exhaust installed?

9. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

No you don't need that. Just spin the crank to Top dead center and then do the leak down. Without the carbs or exhaust installed, it will be easy to hear if the leak down is coming from the valve train. Leakage out the intake/carbs side or out the exhaust side. If the leak down is blowing into the crankcase, you can hear that via the oil fill hole.

toybm and vance like this.