1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to break your scapula

Discussion in 'General' started by onepusher, Sep 13, 2012.

1. vrc

vrc Well-Known Member

Left front brake pad locked to rotor ?

2. JWVance

JWVance Well-Known Member

I think it had to be a front brake problem.

3. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

Damn shame to take a DNF after all that work. Looked like you'd worked your way through the pack and were about to take a podium!

Glad you're relatively OK. :D

4. onepusher

onepusher Socially Inappropriate

I was only messing around at a track day. But thanks for the positive vibes. I'm mostly good. Could have been much worse.

5. GM GIXXER

GM GIXXER Well-Known Member

Heal up fast, wish you the best there. Yeah could always be worse. Sorry to see your suzuki wadded

6. onepusher

Thanks. Gives me a reason to buy something new.

7. GM GIXXER

GM GIXXER Well-Known Member

I like how you think.

8. SupermotoFan

SupermotoFan deep Clothing Company

Why, specifically, the left?

9. vrc

vrc Well-Known Member

You hear some sqealing from the video when he applies the brakes. Maybe somthing to do with left caliber cause the handle bars snatched to the left. Just a guess. Crash seemed odd. Rider was being pretty smooth and wasnt riding over his head. Just a guess.

10. d-wire

d-wire Well-Known Member

I agree with VRC that it looks like a brake issue.....to upright to be a cold tire crash... Did you just put new pads on it?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  11. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Wow. :crackhead:

So how do bikes with only one rotor not crash every time the brakes are applied? :crackup::crackup::crackup:

To me it looks like you just didnt shut the throttle all the way when you hit the brakes. Ive done it when I first realized an injury was causing numbness in index and thumb. Luckily that went away. But I had the throttle just open a bit, hit brakes, front locked, and as I clutched to downshift RPMS hit rev limit. At the time I didnt know what happened, and sortof let go of all controls, and ran off.. Luckily I Just sortof tipped over in the grass.

12. vrc

vrc Well-Known Member

1 rotor or 2 rotor.. If the front brake caliber fails you will be on your ass. Wasnt referring he aplied the brakes wrong.

13. onepusher

I'm still sticking to my theory about the throttle being stuck open. Causing the front wheel to be unweighted as I applied the front brakes locking them and causing the front to tuck.

14. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Yes, but you insinuated that if it were the left rotor that locked up, that woudl turn the bike left and make a crash. So why doesnt every Ninjette Tuck to the right if you lock the brakes up, or pull right as you apply the brakes?

My point was there is no way to know if it were mechanical, which side it was based on the video :up:

15. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Either way.... whatever caused it to be open... , I agree, seemed the throttle was open and brakes applied locked up. :up

Front doesnt have to be "unweighted" though. I was HARD on the brakes, and the rear wheel was just still pushing the bike hard enough to make it break traction and subsequently lock and skid. I just let go before i crashed.

16. d-wire

d-wire Well-Known Member

it can definetly be caused by the throttle sticking and using both the brakes and the throttle at the same time....did you feel like the bike was trying to drive through the brakes? Weird crash for sure....

17. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Has someone inspected said throttle? If it was the throttle, its a good thing that it happened there instead of under the bridge at the top end of wfo. And, if it was the throttle, consider what could have been---as in Brandt Wiwi. Best wishes on your recovery and pinning down the demon.

18. vrc

vrc Well-Known Member

You cant apply the same force through the lever. Locking the wheel up or applying brake pressure is not the same as a caliber failure.

19. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

CaliPer... P ;)

And what? Not sure where you are going now. :confused:

I think you are trying to say that a locked up wheel by caliper failure somehow differs from a locked up wheel due to brake lever pressure (rider error). Locked up is locked up, no matter what causes it.

Again, you said that since the front wheel locked, and turned to the left, that meant the left caliper locked up or failed somehow. What does it turning left have to do with it? And if it turning left indicates it was an issue with the left caliper, what doesnt a bike with ONLy a right caliper turn right?

HINT: It doesnt. the brake force is still applied to the rim, which is applied to the tire, which in center line with the bike. Right caliper, left caliper, one caliper, two, braking force, brake failure, locked up, or not... it doesnt matter. None of those make the bike turn one way or another. A steering input or locking up while off center (leaning) will though. ;)

20. vrc

vrc Well-Known Member

I agree with the "Hint" part.

I guess i will just throw my engineering degree in the trash!