1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How slow can you go racing?

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by Lazarus, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

One set should be enough for a weekend but if you have multiples, bring 2. Not sure on the usability of the Pilots but if they work for as trackday they'll be fine for your first weekend. You can always double check with the Michelin people at the track to be positive.

2. Bunghole

Bunghole Well-Known Member

I don't think you ever got "used" to it doing track days. My problem though was when I got passed by a FAST guy, I would watch him and think man that guy is Fkn flying! and lose my mind set for a couple of turns at first. Then I started tring to keep up with them pushing a little harder for a couple of turnes and following lines watching his brake points ect. all in all, you get better by doing things with people that are better than you. Be it basketball, horse shoes or motorcycle racing.

3. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Do/have they black flag racers for being too slow?

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yes we can and have in the past but it all depends on the situation.

5. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Would one of those situations involve the rider having an unpredictable riding line?

The reason I ask this question is that "back in the day" guys had no TD's to be groomed and racing was the only outlet.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yes it would, but it's never been a big problem. I actually see TD guys with more bad habits than those who have never been on track. I think it's because the true newbie is listening more and follows racers around rather than a group of buddies.

7. MicahSa15

MicahSa15 Well-Known Member

Good news for me. I plan on being slow on my rat bike zx-6r :p

8. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I have personally witnessed a 136% lap time discrepancy without the rider being black-flagged. And the slow rider wasn't getting in anyone's way. Besides, that why we're wearing orange shirts; to let people know, "hey, I might roll off in a place you're accelerating."

(that 136% figure was reached by taking the fastest rider's best lap, and the slowest rider's best lap. the slower rider's lap was 136% of the faster rider's)

9. Erz

Erz Well-Known Member

Just so everyone here knows, I did my first race, albeit with a different org, on May 22 and came in dead last. So yes, it is possible to go slow and race. :crackup:

10. jimraynor21

jimraynor21 Well-Known Member

I just got my license last year and I got lapped in both of my races at Summit in April...did I care? No it was expected. I trust my ability to not be all over the place and be smooth even if Im not fast.

All in all I say anyone considering racing, just go for it! Its a blast even if your the slow guy, its a great environment with tons of awesome people and you gotta start somewhere! I was talking track days with the guy who got me into it and he said something like "look at it this way, when I started doing this there was no such thing as a track day. If you wanted to be on the track you HAD to race."