1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much cheaper is racing a small bike really?

Discussion in 'General' started by aftriathlete, Apr 10, 2020.

1. xTomKx

xTomKx Well-Known Member

I've been racing 300 bikes last three years and I can say that it is way cheaper overall. Used bikes that are already setup are 3-7 grand. Parts are 30% less. Bikes use less fuel. If running Mr12 that can be substantial. Tires last longer. When I got started I used to get much more out of the rear tire. As I got faster I use at least one rear tire per weekend. I would say 6 races and 4 practice sessions per rear at expert pace Pirelli SC1. Front will last forever.

As far as the ergo of the bikes, there are companies that make bodywork with raised seat. It usually cost more but IMO it is worth the price.

R3 has proven to be solid bike for racing. Spent three seasons racing at readline and no issues. Never missed a race due to mechanical. Even valves were still within spec last time I checked. That was at the beginning of 2020 after two seasons.

Racing small bikes has been fun. It is definitely safer as things don't come up at you as fast. It is very technical and all about consistency. As you can not make up the time with extra throttle if you make mistake. The bikes are lighter and more forgiving at the limit.

Phl218 likes this.
  2. aftriathlete

aftriathlete Well-Known Member

Well Kawasaki USA pulled a shit-ass rope-a-dope on me, and the third mystery “track” bike they had to announce this week was just a BNG version of the ZX-10R (ooh, it’s the KRT version.) So they made a big deal out of their 3 new mystery models for reveal, and it was a ZX-10, ZX-10 with BNG, and ZX-10RR. So no ZX-25R for those of us on the right side of the Pacific unless you want to try to hunt down one of the 25 supposedly being sold in Mexico.

Got me all excited for a minute about something new and exciting in the ULW class, but 2020 strikes again.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    Senna likes this.