1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many racers with young kids here?

Discussion in 'General' started by Clay, Feb 17, 2004.

1. bmfgsxr

bmfgsxr Well-Known Member

i have a 7 year old little girl. im not with her mom, but we get along well and have a very flexable schedule. i have her whenever im not racing.

2. CUDA

CUDA Well-Known Member

That is classic. I can see my 3 1/2 year old saying that in 13 years.

3. riopko

riopko Slowest Expert Ever

I have a seven year old son. My wife works with Greyhound rescue so we both spend too much money. Fotunatly we both have good jobs, It is hard for her to travel with the dogs and I do not want to take my son alone yet in case I have a problem. I travel in a 24' motor home so once or twice a year they come along. My son gets bored at the track. I only make about one event a month so we go to a dirt bike park one or two other days each month. The only problem there is my son says Mom slows us down.:D

4. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Thanx for the replies everyone. I'll be doing CCS this, my novice, year. Hopefully they have a good family as well. :) I'll be joining WERA next year most likely.

I'll hopefully be bringing my son along to alot of races, just me and him. But I'm going to have to find someone that I can trust to take care of him between races first.

It's good to know that I'm not the only guy with a family that's still attempting to race!

5. luke738

luke738 Well-Known Member

yea i'll be moms can be a problem. My dad was racing AMA when my mom married him. She said it never worried her watching my dad race at daytona and stuff, but when she see's me and little bro race she was worried on the first track day or two. This is my first year roadracing, so obviously she is sorta worried, but after 3 trackdays, a school, and taladega race last weekend with no crashing or running off track she's pretty well at ease now. I'm just glad i have parents, BOTH parents that are all for it and love the sport.

6. EmerWill

EmerWill Well-Known Member

Have your loved ones thought about volunteering with MARRC while you race?

Of course most of you know about MARRC but I thought this would be the perfect thread to let everyone know about one of the duties that not everyone sees.

One of the benefits for the MARRC volunteers is being fed three meals a weekend. Lunch and dinner on Saturday and lunch on Sunday. I am currently the Chairman of the Food Services committee and usually you can find me slaving over the kitchen duties next to the cafe'.

Volunteering in the 'kitchen' is the perfect way to include family members in your weekend at the track. Of course people who volunteer their time will earn days worked toward their earned MARRC membership.

We usually feed about 60 people at each meal and I take care of the shopping before the race weekend. I can always use extra help even if it's just setting tables, peeling veggies or something more involved. If you're a good cook or can't boil water we'd be able to find something for you to do if you're interested.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to email me at [email protected]

thanks and see everyone real soon at Summit!! Can't wait!!

Will

7. KE2551

KE2551 Active Member

I am now 22 years old. I have been going to races with my dad since I was 5. My mom and my younger sister were never into it much so they always stayed home. It was my quality time with my dad. I loved getting up in the middle of the night and traveling to races. I still do!! Growing up, the WERA family was just as much family to me as my immediate family.

When I was 16 we started AMA racing. Now those guys are my family. I can't wait for the season to start every year. I never imagined having so many "big brothers" but now I could never imagine not having them around!!! I have met so many amazing people at races.

My gram never liked the idea of me being around so many males and worst off (to her) they were "bikers." These guys she was so worried about are some of the best friends a girl could ever ask for. Family is the only way to describe the racetrack.

My best memories of growing up are at the racetrack with my dad. My dad and I have a bond now that nobody could understand or ever take away, he is my best friend.

8. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I have a 6 year old son and a 2 year old daughter, both have been growing up at the track. I tried to quit racing when my son was born, but it seems I may be have been unfriendly during my withdrawals.

The family environment that WERA has is great for the kids. My kids have a lot of fun and a lot of friends at the track. Riany weekends are hard because of the close quarters.

I have a 24' trailer with the front made into a seperate room with a bunk futon TV, VCr , DVD, Fridge, toaster oven(these are cheap and cook lots of things fast) and a microwave. I insulated every part of it and put down carpet in the front. We have an A/C on the front. It works nic. And the upstairs of the futon makes great storage when not in use.

We use a F-350 crew cab to pull it. Plenty of room in there. and it was cheaper monthly and fuel wise than my 1500 Silverado.

you should come check it out. It's easy to find look for the big red canopy with Bridgestone banners on it.

BTW there is a real good chance it will be for sale at the end of the year if things go well. I wat a 32'er.

9. JClay

JClay Gone Sailing...

Hi Clay... I'm just up the road from you in Hickory. Single income with 5 yr old daughter. Trying to make ends meet and race once in awhile. If it wasn't for ebay, I'd never make it. I haven't brought my little on to the track since getting divorced 3 years ago. But, this year will be different.

Jason Clay

10. Laurie Acree

Laurie Acree Well-Known Member

Our one and only child will be 4 in April and racing is a big part of her life. I know it is exposing her to something I really hope she does not have a desire to do in 10 years but that is the chance I have to take. We take her to as many as we can and she loves it.

11. criminalspeed

criminalspeed Well-Known Member

Does a fetus count? He's already been to the infields of Daytona and NHIS, and broken 120mph.

Ask again after May 5th!!!:D :beer: